1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Power amp plus crossover help for PA

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by mojo frankenstn, May 6, 2015.

1. I have some equipment i would like to see if i can run together. I currently use a Behringer PMP2000 with two passive 15" mains for our small/odd no House PA gigs. I also have a passive 18" sub that i would like to add to the setup.
    I have a separate power amp and crossover. Am i correct assuming the sequence on connection is powered mixer-power amp-crossover-sub?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. WayneP

WayneP Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2004
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Last edited: May 11, 2015
  3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Yep, Wayne has it right. To be clear, If it is a large enough amp, I would suggest a 'main' line out to the crossover, high and lo outs to the amp and from there to your tops and sub. Use the on board power of the mixer to drive a monitor or two if you have/ need them.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
    Zooberwerx likes this.
  4. dheafey

dheafey

Jul 22, 2012
    Cow Hampshire
    There's a couple of scenarios that may work for connecting your active crossover-->amp-->18" sub:

- If you're not using the MONITOR connection for monitors, you could connect your sub there using a 1/4" TRS cable as this is a balanced connection. This will allow you to control what channels go to the sub and will clean the mix up significantly. Ex: on channels with low frequency content (bass, kick, floor toms, keys), feed the sub that content by turning UP the MON channel on the respective channel strips and turning it all the way DOWN on vox, guitar, etc... This technique is known as AUX FED SUBS.

- If you need the MONITOR connection for monitors, you can use the LEFT/MONO connection to feed the crossover-->amp-->18" sub. This is a 1/4" TS connection (different than the MONITOR connection).

One other thought: I'm not sure what kind of amp you have, but if it has any kind of DSP in it (crossover), you may be able to eliminate the active crossover all together.