1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Power Amp Recomondations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tualatin, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Tualatin

Tualatin

Feb 7, 2005
    Atlanta
    I've been searching, but I can't find much for my specific gear, so I finally got the balls to post.
    I want to get a power amp to run my Mesa Diesel 18(400 watt, 8ohm, EV driver). I fiqured I would slave out of my 400+ (running a 6x10) into the power amp(running the 18), but I'm having trouble on which route I should take(i.e. stereo, or bridged-mono) Stereo seems attractive in case I want to add another cabinet later, but cost is somewhat an issue. Could you guys recomend and/or educate me further on specifically which amps I should be looking at?
    From what I have learned from searching, I should be operating in the 600-800 watt@8 ohms range.

2. crgaston

crgaston

Dec 23, 2005
    Chattanooga, TN
    I think you may be a little confused with terminology. A stereo amp has two sides, which you can run stereo or bridge together and use as a mono output. A mono amp has only one. You can either get a stereo amp which makes the watts you want on either side, or you can get a less-powerful amp that makes the watts you want only when bridged together. I am assuming that your head has a 1/4" preamp output on it, so make sure whatever power amp you select has a 1/4" imput. It's OK if it says balanced-you don't Have to run it balanced.

Here are some links...
    www.qscaudio.com
    www.crestaudio.com
    www.crownaudio.com