Power Amp Recomondations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tualatin, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Tualatin

Feb 7, 2005
    I've been searching, but I can't find much for my specific gear, so I finally got the balls to post.
    I want to get a power amp to run my Mesa Diesel 18(400 watt, 8ohm, EV driver). I fiqured I would slave out of my 400+ (running a 6x10) into the power amp(running the 18), but I'm having trouble on which route I should take(i.e. stereo, or bridged-mono) Stereo seems attractive in case I want to add another cabinet later, but cost is somewhat an issue. Could you guys recomend and/or educate me further on specifically which amps I should be looking at?
    From what I have learned from searching, I should be operating in the 600-800 watt@8 ohms range.
  2. crgaston

Dec 23, 2005
    Chattanooga, TN
    I think you may be a little confused with terminology. A stereo amp has two sides, which you can run stereo or bridge together and use as a mono output. A mono amp has only one. You can either get a stereo amp which makes the watts you want on either side, or you can get a less-powerful amp that makes the watts you want only when bridged together. I am assuming that your head has a 1/4" preamp output on it, so make sure whatever power amp you select has a 1/4" imput. It's OK if it says balanced-you don't Have to run it balanced.

Here are some links...