Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by B166ER, Dec 14, 2003.

1. I'm just lookin' around for some good power amps that are good for bass. Qsc and crown power amps look good. Any suggestions from people who know about this stuff? I only want to spend around $300 so no big $800 2000 watt power amps. Thanks :bassist:

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I believe that the QSC RMX850 is in that price range.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    You can get yourself a brand new Crown XLS202 for $230. The XLS402 is about $260, and the XLS602 is going for about $310 right now. All Crown amps come with a three year no-fault warranty. Here is a link to the specs on each amp:
    Crown XLS Specs

I bought the XLS402, and it is great. Not the most powerful amp around, but it will work as my first power amp.

-Mike

4. ...and if you feel more comfortable dealing with an actual store, GC has the Crown XLS402A for $299 'till the end of the month. Just be aware that you have to do some wire teaking to get it to bridge.

5. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    ebay!

and don't go wasting your money on things that are under 850 watts bridged. for the weight and cost ratio (considering you need a rack as well), you'd probably do better to get a dedicated head. go for more power/headroom and you won't have to upgrade as soon for MOST gigging applications.

many amps (QSC, crown, crest, etc.) can be found in your price range with much better wattage ratings than 400-700 watts. ;)