1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Power Brick output

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BioDriver, Apr 28, 2009.

1. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    So seeing as my board is about to hit lucky number 7, the thought of taking the dive and getting a power brick has crossed my mind, but I have one concern.

I already know I want isolated outputs so I can power my moogerfooger (and maybe another in the future) but I am worried about the output. Sure, I know the 9V outputs are enough, but it seems that every brick I've looked at only pumps out 100mA per channel. This shouldn't be a problem for most of my pedals, but some pedals like microPOG, moog, and some others I'm looking at require at 200mA pull. At the same time I think I've seen people use bricks to power microsynths and the like.

Is the 100mA output really enough for the likes of those?

EDIT
    I'm using "power brick" as a collective term for all power supplies that are shaped like a brick, such as the fuel tank, voodoo labs, etc, NOT just the Dunlop one.

2. I'm pretty sure that these devices actually only have one 'channel', which is simply parallel wired to a bunch of jacks.
    So for example this one has a total output of 1000ma:
    http://www.ebenex.com/index.php?pag...roduct_id=444&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=54

If I'm correct, and I think I am, it means you could, for example, use it to power two pedals that each require 500ma. Or 4 pedals that each require 250ma-that sort of thing.

3. Some do, some don't.

SoonerMatt, to be sure you really need to directly measure the current draw. Specifications are a bit vague and tend to be over-stated. You'll likely find that many pedals spec'd at 200mA will actually use much less.

4. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    I've got a Micro POG that I run off of my PP2+ with no problems.