Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power conditioning - answer me this...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lonnybass, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I know power conditioners have been discussed ad nauseum here on Talkbass, but if they are truly just a glorified power strip, why is it that every professional touring rig I've seen has a PL-Plus mounted in the top rackspace? Just really good marketing, or what?

Lonnybass
    Chicago, IL
    www.theparamours.com

2. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I've been wondering this, too. Bring on the posts!

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I always thought it was so the rack wouldnt look as empty.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Well, the PL-Plus has many outputs, is rackmountable, and has pull-out lights. You need something in a rack on a big tour, and it does OK for that.

But ALSO remember that the PL-Plus you see on a large tour stage is plugged into other sources, which usually are a huge power distro that has controlled filtering and its own voltage regulation, so you don't need it in every rack onstage separately.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The simple answer is that if it's small enough to fit into a single rack space it's too small to offer much more protection than is provided by a $15.00 Corcom twin-T filter, and at best that's probably what's in there, if not just a few 50 cent capacitors and three $1 MOVs. That's assuming you're trying to power an amp with it, and not just a rack of processors. Heavy duty filtering and regulation with enough current capacity to handle an amp is going to occupy at least two rack spaces, while the real deal, a transformer balanced A/C supply, will take at least three spaces, and cost at least five hundred bucks.
    What I love is the 'conditioners' that have a dozen or more LEDs to tell you that the supply voltage is AFU but don't have the ability to do anything about it. What's the point? Looks pretty, though.

6. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Because they serve other purposes (like lighting, volatge meters,) and a powerstrip is very useful but a rackmountable one is even more useful. If you already have a nice quality (not cheap savon one) powerstrip you don't really need a PC but I didn't have one and I found some advantages to rackmounting so I went for a PC.

7. thedoctor

thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    The good ones have staggered outlets so you can plug in three wall-warts and still have a few outlets available for normal use. That and they look cool. Too bad the good ones are so expensive.

8. BillisCool

BillisCool

Apr 16, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I liked having a master switch for my whole rack.

9. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    So how does something like this fit into your explaination?

10. I use mine as a glorified power strip with rack lights. I prefer one button for the rack and one cord as well. Saves a rat's nest of cords flying out when I transport it.

11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Via very good engineering, and that fact that the last time I looked at these they were two spaces. They shrank them. If they'd shrink the price to $99 I'd even buy one.

12. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    The ones that have all the LED's on the front, are they blue? Imagine what my bass tone would be like if I had something like that in my rack. And it would condition my power too? Super.

13. Lots of power amp and hi-fi speakers are great for getting a super clean tone, but if you want silky smooth, manageable, bouncy tone with lots of body, and no split ends, you have to use a conditioner also.

Randy

14. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC

just a small tidbit worth mentioning is that the series II furman units have series protection, and do not use the traditional MOV design.

also if you look for normal power distribution rack mount units they're around ~$35, about $15 more for basic mov surge protection and emi filtering, and then once you jump up to non mov surge protection, lights, etc thats when you take the hit to $90+

I personally used one for a while until i upgraded to a bigger amp, but wanted to stay in 4 spaces, and mounted a shallow strip on my rear rails. it was convenient.

15. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Yuck yuck yuck. :p