Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power Down Noise?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by coldshadow73, May 25, 2005.

1. See my sig for my equipment.

Everytime I turn my amp off my cabinent makes a funny pop noise that doesn't sound healthy. My friend recommended turning it down the whole way and clicking it on standby and It shouldn't do it, I haven't tried it yet. Is the poping noise normal, How do I stop it, and will it cause any harm to my cab?
    Tyler

2. bummmp

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    That happens frequently with cheaper amps. Its not healthy, but not terrible either. Most higher-end amps, including the newer GK models, have "anti-pop" circuitry that is designed to avoid the pop noise and speaker jumping.

Some manufacturers, however, believe that such circuitry detracts from the audio quality of the component. So, even through it may be a "high-end" unit, it might still pop.

I personally try to stay away from amps that pop on power up and/or power down.

4. I always thought it was normal, I think it's the magnet 'letting go' of the speaker when the circuitry is discharged. It doesn't sound toooooo different to a muted note really and I would have thought the speaker moves in similar ways in both cases.

All speakers, be they computer speakers or TV speakers (our one makes huge pops, almost like a 'plonk') so yeah, it's all cool in my opinion.

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Do you turn the volume (not gain) all the way down before you shut the amp off?

6. If you have a standby switch i assume its got valves in it somewhere, so shouldnt you turn it on standby when you first turn it on to let the valves heat, then turn it on standby again before turning it off, the standby switch is there for a reason

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I think the only valve its got is in the preamp, and I don't think that one would matter much when powering down... You should be putting it in standby when you shut it off though, and also turn the master off too.

8. Yes, It has a Trace elliot tube on the preamp. I will start turning it on standby when I turn it off and turing the master the whole way down. I just don't want to damage my speakers becuase the pop doesn't sound good, but if its normal then it should be fine. Thanks for the input.

9. It IS damaging to your speakers. If muting your master volume doesn't alleviate the "pop," then unplug your speaker cab BEFORE you turn the amp off.

BTW, in tube amps, it's better to leave the amp set to "run"/ standby "off" when powering down. Just remember to switch it back to "standby" before you turn the amp on again. You don't have tube amp, just a tube preamp. Tube preamps can be treated the same as any other typical s/s amp.

10. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    My Trace Elliott does it.....my Grand Pre preamp does it.....MY Gk 200RCB does it and My SM500 does it. It is normal for all those pieces.

Turning your stuff down before you turn on or turn off or plug and unplug is a really great habit to get into for everybody.