1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Power Trio effects.....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Joaquin, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Joaquin

Joaquin

Nov 4, 2006
    I am a bass player in a "Power Trio"......what effects can I use so that when the guitar player takes off into his solo's......there is still some bottom but at the same time get the sound of a fuller band......things sometimes are thin when he gets into the solo.......

2. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    A little overdrive and maybe an octave.

3. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    some kind of dry/wet setup and a good tube overdrive

4. Not really a power trio since theres 4 of us, but the singer doesn't play an instrument within the band so it's pretty much the same situation.

I use:

Clean:
    Chorus, Reverbs &/or Delays.

Dist:
    Flanger, Wah, Delays &/or Reverbs.

Occasionally I'll set the pedla on my multi to pitch and create a whammy effect.

5. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    I am in a similar situation. All I use is an EQ pedal. My amp EQ is slight drop in lows and highs, pedal boosts lows and lo mids. Great for getting a thicker sound.

6. Goatman

Goatman

Aug 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    +1 on octaver (check out the band Ohm for good use of octaver on bass during guitar solos)

chorus might be a nice touch, too.

Another thing you may or may not have thought of is to get your drummer to fill up a little more space by opening up the hi-hat, more fills, etc. Every great trio I can think of has very busy and rich drumlines. Rush, Primus, aforementioned Ohm...

7. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    i use a fuzz (BBM) and /or a digitech bad monkey in my trio, it thickens well, but of you feel it's still lacking look for an Akai Unibass ( octave up with distortion and harmony options on the shifted note)

8. This is what i was thinking.

9. A Booster or an Overdrive would be my vote. Octave could be nice too.

10. Joaquin

Joaquin

Nov 4, 2006
    Can you use a Bad Monkey with a bass........I thought it was just for guitar effects

11. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Fuzz.

12. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    the bad monkey is really good with bass. the eq controls really make the difference here. with the bass at 3:00 there is absolutely no bottom end loss, and the treble control can really give some nice sizzle/ click to the sound too. i don't see any real need for it to be modded to retain bass - it's great as is!

13. It all depends but I use my Akai UniBass quite a bit in power trio settings.

14. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Stomp on a Big Muff and take a solo yourself, see how he likes it. If he's got something to say about it remember you've got the heavier lump of wood in your hands.

15. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Hell yeah you can... I don't know what I'd do without mine! I've been considering chopping it in for an Xotic Bass BB but at the moment I'm perfectly happy with it.

16. jblock

jblock Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    CT
    Micro Pog.

17. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    yup

18. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    I use a modded Bad Monkey (badder bass monkey) to give me a little fuller sound when needed. I'm playing it through an old Ampeg V4 so my 'clean' tone isn't exactly super-clean to begin with, though.

19. DaveF

DaveF

Dec 22, 2007
    New Westminster, BC
    +1 for Bad Monkey.

I've tried both modded and un-modded... I definitely recommend the Humphrey modded one. It's not much more but has a great "sits well with a drummer" tone.

20. Vynns

Vynns Guest

May 5, 2008
    Ohm? Is that the same band as "Om"? You know? With Al Cisneros and that drummer guy, both from "Sleep"? I thought they didn't evne have guitars, just bass, drums and vocals...