1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Powered sub question

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by PsychoZulu, Aug 3, 2012.

  1. PsychoZulu


    Aug 3, 2012
    My friend just bought a powered subwoofer and we're having trouble getting the dang thing to work. He's got a behringer Ub222fx-pro powered mixer set up. when we run a 1/4 inch speaker cable from the amp's sub out to the sub woofer we get a pretty faint signal through the sub woofer. definitely not as loud as it should be. on the back of the speaker where you plug in the speaker cable all the 1/4" inputs say line in and line out and they also say satalite/sub woofer. what does this mean? our collected knowledge of PA usage is limited. Can anybody help us?
  2. DuraMorte


    Mar 3, 2011
    What sub is it?
    My first recommendation would be to use an instrument cable, not a speaker cable.
    Or, if you want to do it right, get a 1/4" TRS balanced cable. That would be the best option.
  3. uhdinator


    Apr 20, 2010
    I hope you're not running a power amp/speaker out from a powered mixer into a powered sub. I smell smoke!
  4. PsychoZulu


    Aug 3, 2012
    It's a Seismic Audio powered sub woofer. Can you explain to me why the need for a mic cable and the difference between 1/4" TRS balanced cables and other cables?
  5. Hactar


    Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    For a start, the UB2222FX-Pro (I presume that's what you meant) is not a powered mixer.
    Thus, when you say "amp's sub out", it does not make sense.
    Are you running a signal out of the mixer, or do you have a separate power amp?

    What is the exact model of Seismic Audio sub?
    A Tremor 18?

    If you are running a line level signal, you should use an XLR mic cable or a 1/4" TRS instrument cable.
    If you are running a speaker level signal, you should use a speaker cable (1/4" or Speakon).
    This is because speaker cables can handle large amounts of power, and mic/instrument cables need to be shielded to prevent noise/interference.
  6. PsychoZulu


    Aug 3, 2012
    my bad he does have a mixer and an external amp. He runs out of the mixers sub, we switched to a guitar cable. not sure if its TRS or not. is there a way to tell? what does TRS stand for? It's a Seismic Audio Aftershock 18.
  7. first problem...behringer....now the brand bashing is over...onto the next thing...

    so TRS stands for Tip Ring Sleeve, which refers to a balanced audio cable. also defines how the cable is wired. positive tip, negative ring, and ground sleeve.

    TS stands for Top Sleeve, which is a unbalanced audio cable. (often used in guitar/bass world and on speaker cable). wired as tip positive, and sleeve negative and ground.

    TRS cables are considerably better to use in most practical circumstances where possible. for example, basses effect pedals, and amps, all use a TS connector, and would advice against. however "most" outboard effects proccessors, mixers, for all outputs (some inputs, for example an insert on a mixer) use TRS. this is because a TRS connector provides a cleaner signal and is less prone to ground noise since the negative wire is run separately from the ground.

    also an XLR is a balance cable as well.

    now for your setup instructions...lol

    take the left and right XLR main outputs go to his amp, then to his main speakers (as per normal.

    to connect the sub, take the left channel 1/4" TRS jack from right next to the XLR outputs, then go to the XLR input of the of the sub. and then control the volume from there. unfortunately i cant get a good enough picture of the back panel to give you much more detail from this.

    the 8x "sub out" are not so you can connect 8 subs to the mixer. they are for the subgroups. so you can group together channels.

    i hope this helps.
  8. Hactar


    Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    Yes, as Big_Daws said, you need to be taking a send from the main outputs and sending via TRS 1/4" to the back of the sub.
    The 4 "Sub Outputs" are subgroup outputs, and if you want to use them, you must route a signal to them via the subgroups.
  9. 4Mal

    4Mal Supporting Member

    Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Ideally there would be an active crossover in the line. Board ==> CrossOver Low out to the sub and Crossover Hi Out to the amp and top boxes
  10. Hactar


    Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    Ideally. :)

    With a SA Aftershock 18 + UB2222FX-Pro ideally is a long way off...

    The UB2222FX-Pro doesn't seem to even have a mono sum, which would help.

Share This Page