1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Powering a Cali76 CB Compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by zippydog, Jul 12, 2019 at 10:37 AM.

1. zippydog

zippydog Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Chicago
    I have one of these fine compressors inbound. Well-regarded and no-nonsense, hoping it will replace my far more complex (and under-utilized) Darkglass HL. Question I have is how users are powering this pedal. Looks like it takes 9 or 18v. I'm using a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2+ and have only 1 open port, so think I'm going to have to run 9V. Any concerns with this or suggestions? I want to get the best out of this pedal.

thanks

2. zippydog

Dec 28, 2006
    Chicago
  3. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    9v is fine. 18v is better. Don’t run it anywhere in between that or it’ll mess it up.

4. Really??? (Or was this supposed to be ironic and I completelly missed it?). :wideyed: I've been running mine at 12v (using the VoodooLabs PP2+)! Could I damage it by doing so? :facepalm:

5. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    I don’t think it breaks anything, but the transformer or whatever that only kicks on at 18v actually kicks on somewhere around 14v iirc. So voltage around that area could suffer from an audible difference of the transformer kicking on and off constantly.

6. Does this also apply to the Compact Bass? My understanding was that only the larger models (is it called TX or something?) have that transformer thing going on.

7. zippydog likes this.
  8. zippydog

Dec 28, 2006
    Chicago
    bravesaint5 likes this.
  9. Rev. Cornelius

Rev. Cornelius Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Sweetwater also has a Dunlop 18v wall wart. That is what I use on mine.