1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Powering a pre w/ phantom power

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bribass, Apr 7, 2009.

1. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
    I have an LR Baggs Paracoustic DI that I sometimes use w/ my AI Focus. The Focus alone sounds great and has enough juice to boost the signal of my older version Realist even at pretty stupid loud volumes, but lately I've been using the Baggs again and do notice that it seems to boost gain significantly and smooth out the signal a bit. The tone shaping of the Baggs is nice too and since it has some notching and HP filter capabilities I leave EQ flat and the HP filter on the Focus off. I have tried putting the Baggs signal straight in the send input to forgo the Focus' pre, but it seems to sound better, somehow fuller, into the reg. input.

On a gig recently I was concerned that the 9volt battery in the Baggs may be about to go down and I remembered that when it's used as a DI it can run on phantom power sent from a PA system mixing board....duh, well ofcourse, why not use the phantom power from the Focus' to power it? I had an xlr cord in my bag so instead of taking the signal from the 1/4 out of the Baggs I used the xlr out into the Focus and turned the phantom power switch on. Worked like a champ and fully powered the Baggs w/ the happy green light indicating it was now powered from phantom shining brightly. The sound seems to be even cleaner if possible and the mids coming out of the EA Wizzy 10 were easy to shape just right.

I'm sure it sounds just as good w/ a fresh 9volt, but anyone else doing this?

BG

2. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I've tried this with both my Sansamp and Fishman Platinum Pro. Both power just fine. The Fishman works great. The output on the Sansamp is just too hot though. Unless I turn the output level WAY down it clips my Clarus.