1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Practical advice, please...keeping two similar combos or not?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by snowdan, Apr 28, 2006.

1. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    the thing is: i play in a semi-acoustic jazz band right now, w/o drummer. mostly DB, some BG. once in a while i play at open blues and jazz sessions, but these are in small clubs and not too loud. i may be playing in other bands in the future, though.

for reasons of portabilty enhancement, my SWR WM 15 had to go (no car).

i now have a WM 10 and a GK MB150. in the place where i live i cannot crank them in order to find out whether there are significant differences in soncic output. the SWR delivers way more low end, no doubt. but i find it a tad boom for DB. i doubt i will ever take it to a DB gig if i don't have to.

i use the GK for rehearsals and gigs right now. if have had no volume issues so far, and i can get away with how it sounds with BG.

the WM 10 is my bedroom amp right now. i would prefer it to the GK for BG.

i happen to be cronically short on cash, so i wonder whether i should sell the SWR.

does that make any sense? i'd be getting like 200-250 euros for it i guess.

what would you do in my situation?

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    Cape of New Jersey
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music (retired)
    If the finances say sell, then sell one. The only reason to keep a duplicate amp is a) you want to and can afford to, or b) it's special and you couldn't replace it at the same price if you wanted in the future

If your needs change in the future, reinvest in whatever you need. The GK won't increase in value, so if it's redundant and the cash is needed, let it go. Looking back at my own amplifier history, it's the gig needs that have dictated changes -- and I suspect that's the most common reason behind other amplifier ownership out there.

3. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    well if any i'd sell the SWR. i canot reasonably take it with me on bus/train, that is why i bought the GK.

if i play in an electric band again in the future, neither combo will suffice anyway i suspect, so i will need a serios head/cab system anyway again.

the only thing that could make me keep the SWR is to have a backup amp in case of GK failure.

back to the question: do you see much of a point keeping a SWR WM10 besides the GK?

4. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    I'd say keep both -- unless you're really looking to buy another component for your rig.

What if you sell your WM 10 -- then the next day get a call to play bass guitar at a big outdoor blues gig for $250???

It would suck to have to buy a new rig just to take the gig!

I also think having a backup amp is a wise policy for a working musician.

But heck, I just sold off a bunch of music crap -- in order buy more amps, mics, and pickups -- the reason we're all really here on this particular post right?!

Bis Spater! ;)

5. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    I've never owned a GK, but I have sold a WM 15.

My two cents - Keep the GK. Sell the SWR WM 10 and save the money to buy something better from Bob G. someday.

Also, maybe using a preamp (Fishman, K&K, others) with the GK will give you more tonal flexibility.

6. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    i have just received a mobile phone bill of 300 euros from the month when i was looking for a new flat. i used the mobile alot back then.

the SWR will be sold.

7. speedster

speedster

Aug 19, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    The GK's are a real work horse for their size, with a line out to the board you can basically get as much volume as you need regardless.

Signal to board is solid and clean and the sound guy can give you as much or as little in the monitors and house as required.

Personally I've played some pretty big festivals indoors IBMA FanFest and outdoors Marioposa Folk Fest. and never ever had a problem with having enough volume.

I never run monitor on stage, I use the GK as my monitor sitting on a small elevating device such as a milk carton and have alway had plenty of head room to increase volume as required.

The house always has lots of head room as the bass does not go through the monitors.

I've always been somewhat confused when I read that the MB150 doesn't have enough volume on stage. When tied into the board like I do I cannot imagine this being the case......

8. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I own both of these amps. They are as different as can
    be. I could never use my WM-10 for upright bass and the
    GK 150 is not my first (or second) choice for electric.
    I usually use an external preamp with both amps. When I
    use my Sansamp Acoustic DI in the effects return of
    either amp, it makes them substantially better, but still
    very different. Good luck on this one. I'd have a very
    hard time choosing. Also, I think the GK 150 has more lows
    than the GK WM-10

9. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006

For real, you think the GK has more lows than the SWR? my observation is the opposite!

i have the choice to either keep both or sell the SWR. i cannot sell the GKL because it is the amp that i can take on the bus with me or so. i like it very much with my double bass, too.

the SWR is now on german ebay anyway...