1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Practice amp: Marshall vs Peavey?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GhostBunnies, Mar 8, 2008.

1. GhostBunnies

GhostBunnies

Feb 16, 2008
    Hello,

I've finally made a decision and purchased an almost new Squier VM Jazz Bass.

Now I need to buy an amp.

I live in France and I've seen a pretty cheap Peavey Basic 60 on eBay recently, so I was wondering what you guys were thinking about this model?

Otherwise, I think I might buy a brand new Marshall MB15 because I have a really tight budget.

But I'm scared to buy a 15 watts amp: I fear that would be too low, even though right now I only need an amp to practice at home.

Which one would you recommend between these two models?

Do not hesitate to make other suggestions as well!

Thanks a lot for your help!

2. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Out of those two, Id certainly go with the Peavey.

I agree that a little 'home practice' amp isnt worth the money. In general theyre as loud as headphones and dont sound very good even when used within their limits.

What is your budget? Definately keep checking ebay though, if anything catches your eye, just post a link here and youll get a collective yes or no. :)

3. quail

quail

Aug 4, 2007
    have an older peavey basic 112 from like 2001 or 2002 i forget and ive abused the hell out of it and its never even grimaced... id also say go for the peavey but ive never even seen a marshall bass amp honestly

4. GhostBunnies

GhostBunnies

Feb 16, 2008
    Thanks a lot for the answers!

I think the Basic 60 model was called Basic 112 later on, but they are the same amps actually.

Here's the link over eBay: Peavey Basic 60

If I can find an amp from a 100€ to 200€ I would be really happy!

I'm also bidding on an Ampeg BA115 on eBay but it seems like the reserve is pretty high (300€ probably).

Will definetely keep an eye on that one as well!

Any other suggestions in this price range?

Thanks a lot once again!

5. GhostBunnies

GhostBunnies

Feb 16, 2008
    Up!

6. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    I dunno man, I had a quick look at ebay.fr but nothing jumped out at me except maybe a Peavey TNT 115, which would be brilliant

One more place to try would be here. Its a UK forum, so they may be willing to ship to France.

7. Wm. E. Evans

Wm. E. Evans

Jul 19, 2007
    Southeast PA
    Headphone amp with stereo input for metronome/CD player/mp3 player....:bag:

Sorry, I know that doesn't answer the question, but I agree that most practice amps aren't worth it. I usually use a Rockman with a metronome velcroed on the front or plug into a mixer for practice.

8. SERPENT865

SERPENT865

Jan 1, 2007
    Wichita , KS
    Peavey !!!!!!!!

9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Try the Acoustic B-20. It's decent sounding, and dirt cheap!