practice amp under $150

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RyanMitchell, Sep 20, 2005.

1. RyanMitchell

Sep 17, 2005
    i was looking on mostly because of free shipping and low prices, my brother needs a practice bass amp because well he has no bass amp at all, nothing fancy needed because he just started playing a lil bit ago, but something under $150 or under $100 , i dunno if it matters but he has an esp b-50 , here is top choices right now

this one until we found out the brand sucks

if anyone has ne suggestions please let me know asap, thnx
  2. RyanMitchell

Sep 17, 2005
    bump, anyone? he wan to pick something up asap and what would be the best combo under $300 on that site?
  3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Under $300 prob would be the Fender Rumble 100... Under $200 is the Alesis Bassfire 60...
  4. RyanMitchell

Sep 17, 2005
    the Alesis Bassfire 60 seems like it has lots of features and would definately meets his need for now, thnx for the headsup
  5. Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I would go for any of the SWR LA-Series Combos. Solid.

LA10 (35w)= $200
    LA12 (60w)= $250
    LA15 (100w)= $300

6. WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I've owned and liked the Ibanez SW35. It's really got good tone and the kickback design is useful. Works just fine as a practice amp. Even has an effects loop, which many lower priced amps don't include.
  7. RyanMitchell

Sep 17, 2005
    he'd really like to get the most power for under $200 he can get, and the alesis is 60w and has tons of features, although we read it cam with no guide for the presets, so u kina have to figure them out yourself, and he does like the ibanez 35w one, wish a store around here carried some
  8. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Love my Alesis, only cons are:

On active basses, you need to turn the volume down on the bass as to not clip the pre-amp section in the Alesis (they should have put a pad switch in but it's not that big of a deal).

Seems a little underpowered until your get the volume knob past 1 or 2 oclock, then gets fairly loud for 60 watts.

Does not have a DI (you will need to mic it)

Could use castors as it's a bit awkward to move

I love the built in tuner (even tunes down to a Low B flat) and the amp/cab models that are built in (they work prety well). Even has a built in adjustable compressor/limiter and has RCA input for CD player, etc. I can get great tone from this little amp. All the crazy effects are neat, but I really don't use them.

I got mine for $139 shipped from (open box special). I could not even tell that it the opened or used at all. It appears as new. KILLER deal for a practice amp.
  9. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    If you want light and small and $150, the Peavey Microbass is great. I use one, and it actually pushes some decent volume in a rehearsal without drums for learning tunes.
  10. I had one of the early Rogue 30 watt combos and it overheated and shut down a lot. My Hartke 2000 is more reliable and it barely works now.
  11. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Just last night I was at a special practice for just the drums, guitar and bass from our horn/funk band. I didn't-much feel like hauling-in my rig, and I saw a little-old Sonic 1X10 cab laying in a corner. I said something like "sheesh - if you had something to drive that with, I wouldn't have to run back out to my car". He brought over an ancient, dusty, funny-old Traynor powered mixer, and it sounded great for practice with my Bass Xciter pedal before it! Then I got out my Tascam Bass Trainer, and plugged that in. Well, I was getting a kick out of it, and then the guitarist shows-up - I said "no-need to haul-in your amp...", and HE plugs his gee-tar in with a compressor pedal.

...Off-we-went, the EASY-way!!

12. RyanMitchell

Sep 17, 2005