1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Practice Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by onesloryd, Sep 26, 2008.

1. onesloryd

onesloryd

Sep 16, 2008
    Burbank, CA
    I am looking for any suggestions on a good sounding practice amp. It could be a head/cab or a combo.

Thanks for your input

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

If you're practicing alone, almost anything will do. The sound isn't as important as the practice.

Is this a trick question, or is there more you're not telling us?

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Very true. There are dozens of them out there and for practice at home alone at reasonable volume you can use almost anything. 20 watts and a 10" speaker would be fine.

If you want to wank out with slapping and popping at earsplitting levels you'll need more. I don't think you learn much when you practice that loud. A young neighbour down the street has a Strat and a big Marshall stack and "practices" for hours each day in his room, very loud, whenever his parents are out of the house. He hasn't improved a bit in 3 years and still isn't playing in a band.

I have two small amps that I use for teaching and practice at home. A Yorkville Sound XM50C-50 watts, 10" speaker and a GK MB150S- 150 watts, 12"speaker. Both have way more power than I actually need.

4. Pignose!!!

5. onesloryd

onesloryd

Sep 16, 2008
    Burbank, CA
    No not a trick question

I haven't played in about 20 years and got rid of everything except my Pilot.

I am just looking for something that I can play through that will that sound dissent.

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Good. So the above answers still are valid. A lot will depend on what you plan to do with it besides practice. I bought the Yorkville to replace a 20 year old Peavey Minx that I've been using as a practice amp since it was new. I think it cost less than $300 new. I don't know. Someone gave it to me when he planned to learn bass but quit after a couple weeks. It still works but the input jack keeps crapping out and needing resoldering again. Bad design. Enclosed input jack connected directly to the PC board. But the rest of the Minx works perfectly still and sounds pretty good. Not quite as good as the Yorkville but perfectly acceptable and far more volume than I need at home despite its 35 watts.

I'd say to go out and pick up something used for less than $100 from a name brand, like Peavey. If you plan to play out later, then pick up something to handle gigging. Keep the practice amp for practice.

7. Myke Myke

Myke Myke

Apr 29, 2008
    Washington DC
    I have a line 6 its pretty good i dont know the specs but its 75 watts and 1x10