1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

practice amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mike phillips, Feb 25, 2013.

1. i have $300 to spend on a practice amp. i have read the reviews and still dont know what the best bang for my buck is. at the very least i would like 100w with an xlr out. ampeg, fender hit me up with some suggestions please. i have an ampeg pro 4 with a 4x10hlf and a 8x10 svt classic for my giggin rig. should i just get a 2x10 cab?

2. i just realized this is in the wrong section. how bout some help mods.

3. the wako kid

the wako kid

May 11, 2011
    Denver,CO
    before you get moved, I'll reccmoend the acoustic B100,which doesn't have an XLR out,but is a lot of amp for 250 bucks and sounds good both loud and quiet.

4. thank you wako. i will look into it.

5. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Roland Micro bass

6. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    look on your local craigslist for any decent used 1x12 or something like that. there's many to be had. buying used will always help you get a better product for less money.

7. LanEvo

LanEvo

Mar 10, 2008
    Manhattan
    Scour craigslist, ebay, and your local guitar supercenters for a used Gallien-Krueger 200MB combo.

It's small, light, and portable: 200 watts with a 12" driver in a tiny package. It's got all the ins/outs you're looking for.

Most important, it has a killer tone with enough volume for small gigs.

I've got one from the mid-80s. I think I paid $250 for mine at a nearby Guitar Center. It's awesome.

8. thank you every one. i found a swr workingmans 12 for 250 on graigslist. not far from the house. also an ampeg ba 110 for 250 as well. i like the thought of a 15" speaker over a 12"

9. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Moved to Amps. Missed it earlier. We'll see things sooner if someone reports a post, just fyi.

10. Fender Bassman TV Ten or Twelve.

11. My GF just bought me a used Genz-Benz Intro 50. I love it. I see one and a 90 on Evil Bay.

I owned an Ampeg B112 it worked well, sounded slightly sterile with a MIMN Jazz, yet came alive with an Ibanez SR500

12. im pretty much an ampeg kind of guy but quality and tone is what im lookin for as well as a good price. the ability to plug in an ipod would be nice.

13. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    this, or a TC BG250

14. For a simple practice amp, I really like my Line 6 110.

15. well i played through the swr working mans 12 and the ampeg ba 115. could it be im such an ampeg man that to my ears everything else sounds blah. i really like the sound of the ba 115 and for a dropped price of 225 im thinkin thats my choice.

16. LanEvo

LanEvo

Mar 10, 2008
    Manhattan
    I had a first-gen Workingman's 112. The tone sucked: all woofly bass and clacky highs. No real low end; no mids; no power. It was like the Bose of bass amps. One to be avoided.

If you like the tone of the Ampeg, then go for it. The price certainly seems nice.

17. smiked1

smiked1

Sep 23, 2008
    I use a GK MB115 for practice, the first generation model. I picked it up for around $300 on closeout. I'm sure you can find one used for around the same price or less. I love the Ampeg BA115 too, but the GK is a big step up. I can actually gig with the GK with a full band, and it's so easy to carry around. If you choose the BA115, you'll be happy if it's just for practice and quieter gigs.

I know exactly what you're talking about that many amps in this category sound "blah". They sacrafice a lot of detail in the midrange just to get some low end umph. Ampeg, and Acoustic, seem to have gotten a good balanced sound. The GK can do it all, and LOUD, I was very surprised.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    BA115 or BA112 might work out for you. Also the Micro CL is 100w with a 210 and you could get one for right around $300 during a sale. They're not made anymore new but if you can find a used B100R, they're real sweet and sound a lot like a B-15.

19. I got a Hartke A70 for rehearsals and it works really well. It was 150 used at GC. I am very happy with it.

It has an XLR out and an EQ so it can get a lot of different sounds.