1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

practice bass neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by justbill, Jun 8, 2007.

1. justbill

justbill

Mar 30, 2007
    eastsidadeetroit
    Hi all, Being totally new to building anything smaller than a house, but....with a real desire to make a
    bass all my own. I decided to go the parts bass route at first. In the process of research and shopping
    around I found a really cool P-Bass neck on ebay. I got it for
    $6.00 plus shipping, and it is everything I could have hoped for and more!

Just some of the stuff that comes standard....!

1) unique fingerboard radius. There is none! Just sorta goes off at an angle from E side up to G side.
    2) fret ends that will tear your hands to pieces! Great for shreading?
    3) bevel on the fret ends extends a full 1/4" into the board. This is usually an expensive option!
    4) rosewood board completly dry and unfilled. Also a number of dents and gouges in the board.
    5) heel width within 3/8" (short) of fender specs!
    6) string slots in the nut extend to the board.
    7) nut slot one side is cut almost through the board

What would you spend for such a high quality educational tool??
    But wait there's more!!! not really.

It is nice to have something to practice various neck related stuff on and not have to worry about wrecking
    something nice. De-fretting, radius the board. I'll try pulling the dents out with steam. Filling and sealing and then a re-fret.
    I am truly greatful for this oppourtunity.

By the way shipping was $19.00 so it is really a $25 neck. I'll probably never put it in anything,
    but what a great practice tool.

Photo is reversed it is not a lefty.

bill

Attached Files:

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021