1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Practice bass....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheBlueFalcon, Oct 11, 2019.

1. TheBlueFalcon

TheBlueFalcon

Sep 17, 2009
    After a few issues with getting a "new" bass, it's also given me time to think and I've slowly moved my focus from an entry level model to something a bit more substantial. I haven't yet pulled the trigger, but I'm extremely tempted.

So what I'm wondering is if people generally have a practice bass to learn and mess about with, rather than put their prized possession through daily torture.

Part of me is saying I should get something dirt cheap for practicing and messing about etc, but I don't know if I'm just being overly cautious.

Any thoughts?

Erik Asma, Bassmike62 and MCF like this.
  2. AudioTaper

AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    Are you gigging with it in rough bars?
    If not, I would say save up and get something nicer than an entry level bass. What model did you have your eye on?

3. creaturegods

creaturegods

Sep 23, 2017
    To me, the only scenario in which buying a cheapo instrument for "practicing and messing around on" is if you're getting into modifications or set-up work and you're worried about ruining a "good" instrument.

As far as playing goes, I do not see why you'd want to practice on a lesser instrument. If you're willing and able to save up for a more substantial instrument for daily play and practice, do that.

Sav'nBass, gozbass, Dunyet and 21 others like this.
  4. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    No. Unless you are not capable of taking care of your bass, I don't know what would happen to it from daily practice. I have a 25 year old strat that I gigged with for years and it looks pretty much like new because I took care of it. It's the longest I've ever had an instrument. Frankly, I think a well worn neck is much more comfortable than a brand new one.

5. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    Nope. I use 'em all for everything.

Sav'nBass, gozbass, lazarous and 7 others like this.
  6. Tazziedevil

Tazziedevil

Apr 2, 2019
    Tasmania
    Well, I wouldn't really call daily practice "torture", unless your practicing in the shower in the freezer or something. Practice is way less torturous than dragging it around to gigs!

That being said, I do have an old cheap bass in another room I will sometimes pick up and play unplugged so I don't have to go to my music room if I just want to have quick play.

7. TheBlueFalcon

TheBlueFalcon

Sep 17, 2009
    Thanks for the replies.

In all honesty I haven't really learnt to play much at all yet. After considering entry level models, my mind took over and I started looking at the next model up, then the next, and so on... I'm currently considering an Ibanez Premium model at a very tempting price. Having not owned and played a bass over many years, I don't know how long they would last under different types of usage. I doubt I'll be gigging, and if I did it would be quite some time before I'd be at that stage. I do intend to look after whatever bass I own, which is why I started the thread.

If buying a cheap Ibanez to learn and practice on would mean that my expensive bass would last longer, then I'd consider it to be a worthwhile investment. But if I'm just being too cautious and daft, I'd rather save money and enjoy the best bass that I can afford.

8. Look at like this, if you play somewhere rough, it needs to be in your hands or in a case.

Dunyet and Gilmourisgod like this.
  9. Tazziedevil

Tazziedevil

Apr 2, 2019
    Tasmania
    Buy the best bass you can afford. You're creating a false economy buying a cheap bass now and putting off getting the one that will serve your needs far better for longer. You'll enjoy playing it more, it'll be more satisfying and you won't have to have gear panic if you do get called up for a gig.

10. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    For $500 or so you can buy something substantial to learn on.
    At that price, I wouldn't really worry about wearing it out practicing an hour or so a day. For that matter, I would have no concerns with a $1,000, if you're thinking of spending more money.
    The only thing I'd worry about is buying a cheap bass that you can't bond with, something that will keep you from practicing every day.
    You're better off finding something that sounds good and feels better, no matter the price. Something that makes you grab it the minute you have an hour to spare.
    If it happens to be a low-priced bass, fine, but if it's an expensive bass, all the better.
    Believe me, you're not going to damage it just by playing it.

dramatwist, gozbass, Dunyet and 10 others like this.
  11. TheBlueFalcon

TheBlueFalcon

Sep 17, 2009
    I think you have summed it up right there. This is why I have been talking myself into moving up the models. I just wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing.

Clever Moniker, retslock and jd56hawk like this.
  12. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    omg... you can get killer life-time basses for $100 easy! why spend more when they're so available?

13. AudioTaper

AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    Define 'killer life-time' basses

TheBlueFalcon likes this.
  14. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    anything that is virtually perfect and will outlive 2 player's lives

15. TheBlueFalcon

TheBlueFalcon

Sep 17, 2009
    If it was THAT simple, everyone would do exactly that and there would be no market for anything any more expensive than $100.

16. TheBlueFalcon

TheBlueFalcon

Sep 17, 2009
    Again, if "virtually perfect" was available for $100 we'd all be extremely happy and I wouldn't be asking such questions.

lfmn16 likes this.
  17. AudioTaper

AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    There are good deals here and there, but I've never seen a 'killer deal' for that cheap. Or my definition of killer deal is different than yours...

Clever Moniker and TheBlueFalcon like this.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    When I got my first Precision, my parents' suggested plan was that I would use the Precision for gigs only and use my little Framus Stratostar bass for practices. That went out the window immediately :D

gozbass, Dunyet, Kokoman and 15 others like this.
  19. AudioTaper

AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    Blue Falcon, how much is that Prestige you are looking at? What model?
    I had a MIJ (Made In Japan) SR800 for years and played the absolute crap out of it. Only issue it had was the ground wire solder connection was damaged when I changed the battery. Easy fix.

20. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    does a vintage Fender clone float your boats?
    does something even studlier do it for you?
    I got'm both within reach! I've answered the same old question so many times I'm sick of it, the proof should be stickied lol sheesh, somebody here can probably quote me, if I say it yet again I risk being banned!
    maybe the tb gods will forgive me...
    LB11
    LTD B-50
    those flourescent Dean Ps are said to be great as well

Greg Waldon and EatS1stBassist like this.