Practice? We talkin' bout practice? Well, practice amps to be exact!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shababy32, Feb 21, 2019.

1. shababy32

shababy32

May 2, 2015
    What's up guys and gals? Hope everyone is doin well. I didnt see my name in the obituary today, so I guess I'm still kickin!
    Anyway, I asked a question a while back about small combo amps and what yall recommended. Well I sure appreciated y'alls feedback, but I think my question wasnt as detailed and specific as it needed to be. I was asking about small combo amps and I got responses from Blackstar Fly 3, 3 watt combo's to Markbass 800 watt combos and everything in between. Like I said, I maybe wasnt specific enough because it seemed like most that was recommended was for home practice and band practice.
    With that being said, could anyone recommend to me a good home practice amp that sounds pretty good, not over 50 watts, 30 or below would even be better, and that's about it. It doesn't have to sound like an SVT or a old flip top. I've got a VT that will make it sound suffice I guess.
    Anyway, ya'll have a good day!

Thanks!

2. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    Why does anyone need a practice amp? I practice through headphones. I use an amp for rehearsal and gigs. A laptop and a Vox AC-30 is all I’ve needed for the last five years.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    smogg likes this.
  3. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Price range?

lfmn16 likes this.
  4. You asked for a home practice amp. The Markbass Minimark 801 is fantastic if you use it like a nearfield monitor and place it in front of you, directing at your ears and close to you. But the best advice I could give you is to use a Pleasureboard from TecAmp or something similar. Esp. if volume is a problem (neighbours).
    With a Pleasureboard it feels as if you would use a great amp with sufficient volume to create real low frequencies but cause it gets into your body it is relatively silent. Your ears will be thankfull (no need to drive your headphones too loud). I would prefer the combination of a Pleasureboard with headphones or nearfield speakers to every small or not so small amp at low volume. It has changed the way I play. If I only listen to an amp at low volume without "feeling" the low frequencies I play different (more melodic, more highs, more melodies). I like that sometimes, but with the Pleasureboard I play REAL bass.
    I really think that these devices should have much more success in the market and quite don't understand that TecAmp or Eich are the only ones who offer these devices. I guess most bass players who try it would love it.

staurosjohn and Whippet like this.
  5. dralionux

dralionux

Feb 3, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    jeff7bass and iagtrplyr like this.
  6. Fender rumble 25.

Andy Daventry likes this.
  7. shababy32

shababy32

May 2, 2015
    Thanks for asking because I needed to say what I wanted to spend. I dont want to spend over 225 dollars. That would have to be the a deal almost too good to be true. I have a great setup IMHO for band practice and gigs. As a matter of fact, its borderline too much for small bars. SVT3 Pro+2 SVT 15HEs

8. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    I have a Peavey Max 158 that I like well enough. Hours and hours and hours of use, no problems. Has a dorky little tuner built in which I actually use once in a while and a couple of other buttons. But usually if you walk into the store its Rumbles that you'll see and they're fine for what you want. A little Ampeg would be good as well.

9. In my opinion, you either go for the cheapest used thing you can find on craigslist that works, or you spend a little more and get a 12” combo. I have the GK MB112, and have used the Fender Rumble 100, and both are good. Both are also fairly small, light, and can be used for a gig or practice with a drummer that plays at moderate levels. I personally think it’s a waste to spend 200 bucks on something that just amplifies enough for you to hear by yourself, and serves no other purpose. That’s me though.

10. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    joel406, then how else am I able to add another combo to the stable if I can't use the excuse of needing an at-home amp for practice? I do large rig for outside gigging, medium-size combo for jamming and lower-level gigging, and a less-powered combo for practice and two-person jams? That, plus a multi-effects pedal with headphones to hook up with the computer. Of course, I'm still driving my 2000 Monte Carlo...

11. shababy32

shababy32

May 2, 2015
    Well I keep my rehearsal /gigging amp where we practice. I am no longer a spring chicken. I know I could get a class D amp that is smaller than a pack of smokes and says it pushes more watts than an electric chair. Plus I know u can get speaker cabs that have like 6 4inch speakers that are supposed to make women go into premature labor from the thunder that they allegedly produce, but I'm not gonna lie. There ain't nothin better than seeing a 100lb. SVT and a big ass 8×10 refrigerator on a stage. Call me old fashioned or whatever, but that's just my opinion. Yes I know everybody has opinions just like other body parts. One part in particular! By the way, I dont have an SVT Classic nor a refrigerator can. One day though!!!

Qlanq likes this.
  12. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I have the little Ampeg BA108 and it works great for practicing at home . It doesn't give you the low end feeling that a gig rig does but if you are playing along with recorded music it gives you plenty of volume to do that , it really blends in great for that . If you want to play silently it has an aux input with a volume control so you can put the music right into the amp and blend the volume with your headphones . Thats how I learn cover songs most of the time . Very nice and only a hundred bucks .[/QUOTE]

Pdaddy1978, Artman and dralionux like this.
  13. lfmn16

lfmn16 Inactive

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Assuming you have a volume knob, any amp can be used for practice. I used to practice with my SVT and 8X10 cabinet when I had it. I plug into what ever amp is in the room and adjust the volume. ;)

gregouille23 and Funkdified like this.
  14. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    For personal practice I'll second the option of good headphones and a simple interface that will allow you to connect your bass and an external sound source (mp3 player, cd player, etc.) Very easily achieved for $225 or less.

birminghambass likes this.
  15. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I just play any of my rigs, big or small, at low volume for home practice. I can go into headphones also with my Rumble 100 v3.

16. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    I love my Bassboard aka Pleasureboard. These things are awesome. Just like you, I cant understand why more people dont use them.

Price and the amount of real estate it takes up on the floor could be a reason, but these things are so worth it. It makes me feel like a rockstar playing in the living room!

That said, I would get a Warwick 20 or 40 watt amp. Sounds fine and cheap. They used to give them out for free when you bought one of their basses.

17. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    I have a Fender Bronco 40 (newer version is the Rumble Studio 40) but I mainly use it with headphones and my pedal board as opposed to the built in effects but it does sound pretty decent through the speaker. Also have a Rumble 150 v2 head that I use (again, almost always with headphones) and a Vox headphone amp. If I had to do it again I would get something simple like a Rumble 40 or better yet, look used and at pawn shops for something low cost.

18. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Line 6 studio 10 —- used.

Don’t let the 75 watts discourage you.

19. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    Fender Rumble 40. Excellent amp.

GoesThump and Ronzo like this.