1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Practice while driving

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Dtap, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Dtap

Dtap

Aug 14, 2019
    Philadelphia, PA USA
    No, I'm not bringing my bass with me in car. But I will be spending a considerable amount of time driving(and some flying) in the next month and was wondering if there is anything valuable I could be doing during this time. Other than listening intently to the music of course. Is there something that can help me as a newbie take advantage of all that time? Stop light stretches? Finger exercises?

Curious to hear your input. Thanks.

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I used to work on my ear. I would listen and "play along" in my head. There were times when my mind played the wrong note. That's when I knew I was getting something from it.

Goatrope likes this.
  3. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Work on your sense of time. Count along, turn down the volume, keep counting, bring up the volume, see if you’ve drifted.

Work on your vocals. Learn different harmony parts, or sing lead, which ever is your thing.

4. Without knowing what you already know, I would say memorizing your chord tones (Major, minor, Dominant & m7b5 in every key) and visualize where they are in the instrument.

5. Malcolm35

Malcolm35

Aug 7, 2018
    Take a theory book with you to read in the hotel room, or on the plane. A lot of my early theory studying was done at 30,000 feet.

6. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    Anthony wellington posted a 'bassless' exercise just now on his FB page

adapted for driving:
    pick a string BEADG
    look fore the first digit you can spot on a street sign / license plate
    name the note at that fret

7. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Obvious, but, while actually driving, your mind and body should be 100% focussed on driving, otherwise you put lives at risk.

gebass6 and Les Fret like this.
  8. Dtap

Dtap

Aug 14, 2019
    Philadelphia, PA USA
    I'm not much of a reader as it puts me to sleep no matter what time of day I do it, but I know I'm going to have to. I've been trying to find the copy of "This is Your Brain on Music" that was given to me years ago, but I can't find it. So I've downloaded the Music Theory PDF that BassyBill referenced in the sticky of this section.

This sounds like it has great potential for me. Thanks!

I've been working on my left hand ring & pinky fingers on the steering wheel and my right hand alternate finger picking on the console(not at the same time). Of course, I'm only doing these things on long quiet stretches of highways when nobody else is around me.

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far. Keep them coming!

Goatrope likes this.
  9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

If you can find an old VHS copy of Beaver Felton's Superchops, he has a segment on practicing while driving.