Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pre amp damaging

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Jun 21, 2005.

1. If I'm playing a bass, say my Marcus Miller, :eyebrow: with the active mode on (pre amp on), and the amp I'm playing through has a switch for active,but its not turned on :( , can I break :eek: the Amp or the pre amp in the bass? Same question applied to an amp with no active switch. Will an active bass break or break any thing?

thanks. Steve

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Unless the amp is set louder than it should be able to play, you will be fine. You might get a bit of distortion if its turned on too high though...

3. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Correct me if I'm wrong but an active input/switch is just a pad to bring down the level a bit. If you are running active into the passive input you might clip the pre a bit. Running passive into the active input will give you a much quieter (probably too quiet for use) signal.

4. What is that, "clip the pre a bit"?

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    It means that if you turn your preamp or electronics on the bass up too much, it will distort a little. But a word of advice: some manufacturers recommend that you use the passive input with an active bass to get some grind or oveerdrive or distortion. I think its pretty safe to do it.