Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pre amp options

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chris_AtariDoll, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    I have decided to get rid of my current head (Warwick pro fet IV) in favour of pre+power seperates. For the power i have a PV-2600 (running warwick 2x10 and 1x15 biamped). Now i just need to decide on a pre-amp.

I play in a alt-rock band and i am looking for something with more warmth (but still some punch and attack). I have about £400 to spend, i am currently looking at:
    Ashdown RPM-1 EVO 2
    Ampeg SVP-PRO
    Warwick Quad (keeping the warwick theme, but no gfx eq, will i miss it?)

any preferences or other suggestions.

I love Dirk and P-nuts tone... if that helps.

2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I'll apologize if this reply is of minimal use. I've actually never played through any of those preamps, although I've used other Ampeg products and not been wholely impressed. However, one of the members here (Vanselus, to be specific) hosts a great site with sound clips from numerous preamps, including each of the three that you mentioned. You can find it at www.basstasters.com. Check it out; hopefully it will be of some service to you.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I love the tone I get from my old BBE, the 383. If the new BBE BMax is available over there, I suggest you check it out. Or, find an older used one like I did.

I also played through the Ampeg you are asking about. That is a real nice pre. Some people mention a problem with a humming sound coming from those though. I am not saying they all do it, but I have seen many people mention it around here. That is why I did not buy one.

-Mike

4. I used to own the Ampeg svp-pro preamp. It wasn't exactly the tone I was looking for, but it was a nice pre. I may have been lucky, my preamp didn't have this humming noise that others had. It had a very slight hum, which was definetly not heard at low volume, and it did not come through the speakers. I didn't even know it had a hum until I read about it on here, then I had to place my ear against it to hear it. It wasn't an issue for me, and it definetly wasn't the reason I sold it. You shouldn't let the hum issue turn you away from this preamp. And Mike, if I remember right, you really wanted my Ampeg bad.

That said, out of the preamps you listed, I would suggest the Ashdown. That is one sweet sounding pre. A buddy of mine owns it and I got to check it out recently...through an Ampeg 8x10 ! That's one versitile amp. It may be my next preamp.

5. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    The ashdown does have a lot of usefull features - x-over, tube blend and sub harmonics. I think this is winning at the moment.

6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I own it and it's very nice. IMO, the tone that you're looking for is probably in there because it's very flexible but sounding like the people that you mentioned is going to have a lot to do with your hands also.

7. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    Check EBS preamp or Trace elliot gp12 preamp with dual compressor. They are both worth to try

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    With the quadramatrix knob, you can choose 4 different frequency response curves and the underlying frequencies for bass/mid/treble boost etc. It's insanely flexible.

Having said that, I'd say the Ashdown has a warmer sound and might be closer to what you're looking for.

9. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    I'm starting a incubus tribute band as a side project... so getting dirks tone is quite important... but i also wanna have the flexability to change to something different, when i need to. I think the ashdown is winning at the mo.

10. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    just worried about not being able to cut troublesome freqs in bad rooms.

11. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I have the ashdown pre. What I do for bad room effect is I run an eq pedal in the effects loop. I keep the pedal flat and cut if its a bad room. With the pedal I dont have to use up a rack space and I use velcro to keep it in the back of the rack. Works for me.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    nickelseye.....you are correct sir....I really wanted your Ampeg pre for a long time.

-Mike

13. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    well i went for the Ashdown, im just waiting for it to be built now... can't wait.

It's gonna be running into a Peavey 2600 power amp, running biamped in to my warwick 2x10 and 1x15

what do you suggest as a x-over frequency between the 2x10 and 1x15.