Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pre-amp recommendations?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dabass, Jan 31, 2006.

1. dabass

dabass Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    NYC
    Any thoughts on recommended on-board pre-amps for a fretless?? Aguilar, Sadowsky, Bart ect????

2. One vote for Aggie.
    :)
    Dirk

3. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte

Another +1 for A-G-U-I-L-A-R (I'm afraid to say "Aggie" or the abbreviation police will come after me!:D )

4. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I have an Aquilar OBP-3 installed in an Yamaha BBN5II 5 string with the stock yamaha pickups. The preamp did wonders for the bass. It has did not seem to drastically change the sound of the bass but added a lot of grunt and flexibility.

I went for the 5 knob version with the mid switch and the 18volt option. Tons of control, great sound, highly recommended.

Crabby:

5. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    Depending on what kind of sound you want for your fretless,consider a Demeter.It has a wider frequency range than most others,which would give you more transparent ,acoutic sound.

6. ZanVooden

ZanVooden

Nov 27, 2005
    Peoria, IL
    I have a Bart Pre in my bass and really like it. but im not sure how it sound. i would think it wouldnt make too much of a difference between pre amps, because (for the most part) they are all bassically the same.

7. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    I think you'll find there are some strong opinions on that. Here's mine (FWIW): there may be some that are the same, or very clos to the same, but most preamps out there are not just a little bit different-- they're *A LOT* different.

8. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Barts.