pre-amp recommendations?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dabass, Jan 31, 2006.

1. dabass

dabass Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Any thoughts on recommended on-board pre-amps for a fretless?? Aguilar, Sadowsky, Bart ect????
  2. One vote for Aggie.
  3. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004

Another +1 for A-G-U-I-L-A-R (I'm afraid to say "Aggie" or the abbreviation police will come after me!:D )
  4. Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I have an Aquilar OBP-3 installed in an Yamaha BBN5II 5 string with the stock yamaha pickups. The preamp did wonders for the bass. It has did not seem to drastically change the sound of the bass but added a lot of grunt and flexibility.

I went for the 5 knob version with the mid switch and the 18volt option. Tons of control, great sound, highly recommended.

5. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    Depending on what kind of sound you want for your fretless,consider a Demeter.It has a wider frequency range than most others,which would give you more transparent ,acoutic sound.
  6. ZanVooden

Nov 27, 2005
    Peoria, IL
    I have a Bart Pre in my bass and really like it. but im not sure how it sound. i would think it wouldnt make too much of a difference between pre amps, because (for the most part) they are all bassically the same.
  7. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    I think you'll find there are some strong opinions on that. Here's mine (FWIW): there may be some that are the same, or very clos to the same, but most preamps out there are not just a little bit different-- they're *A LOT* different.