Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamp advice (K&K?)... balancing EUB and EB

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by wateroftyne, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Hi folks

During most gigs I swap back and forth between a Precision and an EUB.

My amp is an SVT-PRO III with one input channel. The output of the EUB is a blend of magnetic pup and piezo, powered by a 9v battery. Problem is, the EUB's output is tiny compared to the P.

So far, I've been switching in my Sansamp to lower the P's gain before it gets to my amp - that way, I can get them pretty well matched.

BUT... but the signals going into the amp are so low the input gain has to be cranked. This inefficiency means I don't get as much volume as I should. Plus, I suspect the EUB signal isn't great by the time it gets to the amp.

I tried switching it around, i.e. using the Sansamp to boost the EUB, but, even when it's cranked, the level is still a little way short of the P.

Any suggestions? I get confused re: impedance etc, but for what it's worth the sound guy I work with says the EUB's signal is an instrument signal, albeit very low.

I have my eye on Bob Gollihur's preamp page, and the K&K stuff in general. They're not too expensive which is a bonus... would that boost the EUB to P levels?

Plus, if I did, would the K&K do odd things to the P''s signal meaning I would have to bypass it, or would the signal pass through unchanged?

Thanks for your help!

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    How about a little microphone mixer. Those typically have adjustable input gain with a very wide control range. Maybe one of the little Behringer units would do the trick.

3. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    The MDB-1 from Raven Labs is exactly what you need. Worth every penny you'll pay for it and then some.

-dh