Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

preamp idea

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by warwickben, Jan 13, 2005.

1. i got this idea in my head today. i was think about how i read jpj jones uses a laptop for his effects and a midi pedal to turn them off and on.
    i know they have friwire preamps or usb preamps.

any ways my idea is this i think it be good idea to put a fire wire out/in on bass and guitar preamps. i was thinking you could use it two ways. frist use it like a di for recording on comptures. the second thing u could use it for is useing effects. you would only need one cable for send/return. it would open up to a limitless possablety of effects. a effect compy like boss could just make a program with all there pedals built in to it and when they make more u could buy updtaes. if they made it like reason u could have ass many effects as u want and have them patched wat ever way you want. say boss / dod and the othere big name effect makers made the programs with rewire
    there would be a never ending amount of wat effects you could use.

sorry if this doesnt make sense this idea pop in to my head today. i knwo u could just buy a friewire preamp and put it in ur efect chain and use vst or othere effects, i just thought it be better if it was ment to be a bass preamp and ment to be used live.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I think that Line6 sells (or used to sell?) Amp Farm software where all the amp models would reside on a PC rather than in a POD or modeling amp, etc.

Making the human interface would be the tough part so that effects parameters, etc. could be changed on the fly in a live situation.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    My lead guitar player did something like this (not using firewire, though), and in a related project, he "rackmounted" an old computer, and filled the disk with all sorts of samples (great stuff, like Godzilla "roaring", fake applause, cheesy intros, and classic tunes/commercials, like "Heatmiser", and "My Dog's Better Than Your Dog"), which he could trigger using a MIDI pedal. Awesome stuff, really. And all I ever asked him to do was to build me a pedal that would make the Godzilla sound when I stepped on it...

Seriously, though, he is an electrical engineering genius, and has built a lot of his own effects. He has recently moved away from using laptop based effects and other digital pedals, and is instead building some high quality all analog and hybrid analog/digital pedals. Always a good buddy to have on hand...

4. i trigger samples useing reason and the roland midi pickup. to do wat i want u just need to buy a firewire preampo and pop it in you effect chain my idea was just to add it topreamps being made . it would make computre base recording a breeze