1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Preamp + power amp club?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by boamedt, Dec 30, 2016.

1. boamedt

boamedt

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    Any interest to make a preamp/power amp club? What you use now, what have you tried, what pairs well with what, and just general pre/power discussion. I think it would be nice to have a thread with a bunch of cumulative knowldege about these setups and a good place for new possible adapters to ask questions to the knowledge wealthy folks of TB

2. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    If one happens, put me in.
    Mostly use band-provided BOSE but my "rack rig", named Crab Hamper by roadies back in the early 80's when it was a lot of stuff based around a rack-mounted Trace Elliot head, currently is a SansAmp RBI->dbx 166xL->QSC2402. A Line 6 HD500X feeds the input of the SansAmp and the rack can feed any of the different arrangement(s) of speakers here for use at gigs.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    kesslari, boamedt and BasturdBlaster like this.
  3. grillman

grillman

Dec 15, 2014
    I use this setup at home and it works like a charm. Would be interested in reading more about it.

I use and Eden WTDI to a DIY power amp.

boamedt and BasturdBlaster like this.
  4. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    I'll play...
    I run my Noble into either a Crest Prolite 2.0, or a Carvin DCM1000L

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Given my enclosure selections (Acme and Epifani), I need a little extra juice to light things up. I'm using an ancient SansAmp and Crown 2500.
    SansampOrigFront_zpsxtnwiyux.

I did sell off one pre / power combo and bought an Epifani PS1000 (two 500 watt amps side-by-side) so it would match the Epifani 310's. How OCD is that?!?

Riis

6. boamedt

boamedt

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    I just got myself a mesa boogie subway preamp di pedal to power my new crest prolite 3.0. Its powering only 1fearful 12/6 but the other is on the way. I play reggae and love that loud clear deep low the 12/6 pulls off with lots o watts

7. Siren Sound

Siren Sound

Aug 10, 2016
    This is a setup I've thought about running more than a few times, but never pulled the trigger. However, I recently heard the Noble preamp and thought it sounded great. I'm thinking that through any high wattage power amp would be a great setup!

8. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    It very much is!
    My Noble has been permanently deemed the tiny box of magic..
    It's great just DI, with a power amp, or running through my Mesa D800

taylor16 likes this.
  9. This club sounds like a cool idea.
    I use an Aguilar DB659 with a Rane SP15 into a Crest ProLite 2.0 into a fEARful 1515/66 for Reggae. I put in a 5751 in V1 of the Aguilar - this lobs off some of the mids (an Aguilar staple).
    In total, it's a clean machine.

BasturdBlaster and boamedt like this.
  10. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I use a Demeter HBP-1 preamp into a Crest CA9. I run the CA9 in stereo, and my favorite cabinets with this setup are a pair of Mesa PH212's.

Jim Carr and BasturdBlaster like this.
  11. KJMO

KJMO

Feb 6, 2015
    I have a modest rig consisting of a mxr m81 preamp pedal running into a crown xls 1002 and I'm very happy with it so far. Wish I had done it a long time ago.

12. IMAG0254. I pull this out once and a while.. I pick a pre-amp and cab depending on the style of music I'm playing.. The Qsc 3402 amp runs quiet and cool even at hot outside shows..

13. BJMtz

BJMtz

Oct 18, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Been wanting to get a setup like this for a while. My main amp is a SVT 7Pro but I have a Crown XLS1002 in a 3 space rack that I've been wanting to put a preamp in. I thought about a Sansamp since I really like the BDDI that I have but I'd also like to get something different from the Ampeg/Sansamp sound that I already have. Looking around but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

murphy likes this.
  14. Gormsgade

Gormsgade Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    Denmark
    Sorry for asking but what's the type/model name of that SWR pre-amp?
    I'm running an Aguilar 659 into a Crown XLS 1500 feeding my two Aguilar GS212 cabs,
    and have considered adding a second preamp

15. My rig:
    Ashly BP41 - Fender MB-1200 - 2x 212 cabs.

16. pnutz

pnutz Supporting Member

almost had the same rack a few years back (demeter hbp-1 into a crest ca4).

was thinking about going that route again. but would like to avoid the 'lead sled' this go-around.

i know most power amps should 'sound' neutral; in that they (the power amps) should not color the sound in any way, shape, or form.

with that being said, anyone have much experience with lighter amps like the peavey dpc1400x, the eden wt1250, or the crown k2?

the peavey is digital and i've read that digital amps can be fussy. also, is the fan noisy?

the eden has a tone control for quick tonal changes if the room needs to be tamed.

haven't heard much on the crown but the name carries weight.

or is there another light power amp that's the rage right now?

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  17. Hi.. It's an SWR "Grand Prix" preamp.. Killer SWR tone if you can locate one!

18. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    The 2.0 is now a 3.0.
    Helluva rig!!

IMG_0854.JPG

19. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    I used a Peavey IPR-1600 driven by an ART PC II for a few years but downsized to a GK MB800 for my gigging amp.

I still have it sat on a fEARful 15/6 in my gear room (what a waste) and wouldn't hesitate to use it again if needed.

No number required thanks.

BasturdBlaster likes this.
  20. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    use the Magellan as a poweramp...also have a heavy lead sled and peavey tube power amp...but they stay at home

IMG_1744.PNG

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    GreyBeard, kev451, John B jr and 2 others like this.