preamp to tape recorder

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by ADbassman, Nov 7, 2004.

1. I have a BBE Bmax, a sansui reverberation mixer, and a MCS tape deck. My question is, should I take the main out of the Bmax to the mixer to the tape deck, or the DI out of the Bmax to the mixer, to the tape deck. Thank you.
  2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Why do you need the mixer in the loop? For monitoring purposes? Is there any way you can monitor out of the deck instead? It would be preferable (probably) to go straight from the preamp into the deck. The less steps there are, in your signal path, the better. So I'd suggest BBE->deck->mixer, if possible.
  3. Eliminating the mixer is fine, but my main question is weather I should take the DI out of the Bmax, or the main out to the deck, or does it even matter?
  4. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    I see the point in your question: If your deck takes lo-Z inputs, then you should use the DI out, or run the line out to a DI and run that to the deck. If it takes hi-Z then you can run from the line out direct to the deck. Keep in mind that the deck may/will be looking for a higher signal level than a DI will provide. A more common signal chain would be like this:

Bass -> Preamp DI out -> Mic Preamp -> Deck input

It might seem like semantics but it really isn't. A DI is meant to take an unbalanced source (your bass) and deliver a balanced source similar to the output from a microphone. A preamp takes the mic level balanced source and delivers a balanced line level signal that is compatible with Deck or Console inputs.

Check this out:

Hope that helps,