1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Precision bass with jazz bridge p'up

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by moosemoosemoose, Jan 18, 2008.

1. moosemoosemoose

moosemoosemoose

Apr 29, 2005
    OK, i have a test for all you fender geeks out there.

I would love a precision bass with the jazz bridge pickup.
    Other than the deluxe and aerodyne I cannot for the life of me work out anymore.

Any ideas?
    :meh:

2. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Reggie Hamilton, Frank Bello, and Tony Franklin Sig (fretted and fretless) models

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Two home brewed:
    51TeleP_4.gif
    Fenderjapanreissuescu.gif

4. moosemoosemoose

moosemoosemoose

Apr 29, 2005
    oh yeah

i also meant to say, that arent signature models!

I'm after a standard looking p bass just with the jazz pickup shoved on.

Does that really exists, or am i being picky?

5. * Hot Rod Precision
    * California Deluxe

Both are discontinued but relatively easy to find used.

You could also buy any P-Bass and have a J-Pickup added. A competent tech/luther can do this pretty cheaply & easily.

6. neuromancer

neuromancer

Apr 28, 2005
    CT, USA
    There used to be a model called the P-bass lyte. You can find one used now and then on evilbay. Aside from those, I think you're pretty much limited to a sig or a deluxe, although I don't see much about those that distinquishes them from being p-basses with the j-pickup added. :confused:

There's an SX model that fits your needs. It's a straight p-bass with a j-pickup: http://www.rondomusic.com/spj623ts.html

I'm sure there's at least 2 or 3 other manufacturers that offer a production model like that, to boot. :)

7. moosemoosemoose

moosemoosemoose

Apr 29, 2005
    cool, thanks for the advice guys

:)

8. I'm also in the market for one, the Tony Franklin fretted looks very nice, have anyone tried it?

9. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    i read somewhere that the SX SPJs hum like crazy, but that's expected with only one j-pickup without hum-canceling.

10. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    A lot of fender-inspired basses are P/Js. Check out the new Sadowsky Metro hybrids.

11. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I played a fretless version. I loved it. Being a Fretless P-bass lover and a P/J lover, I guess it was inevitable.

12. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
  13. There is a used '92 Cali Series(MIA) P bass at my local(Clearwater, FL) GC. Has the P/J pups, black/maple and it may be active.. I think it is $599.

14. When Fender stopped making that one, they essentially made the same thing called the Zone. That too is now discontinued.

15. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    The Jazz Bass Special from the 80's and early 90's- precision body, P/J pickups. It has a jazz neck, however. Better sound than those listed, IMO.

16. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Without the signature basses (Tony Franklin, Duff McKagen) Fender doesn't make a passive P-bass bodied P/J as far as I know. Your best bet might be the Leo Fender designed G&L SB-2. The body is a slightly updated P-style, and it has an aggressive, hard-hitting P-bass tone. It's a fantastic rock bass. If you like to solo the J pickup, however, it's not a good choice because the SB-2's bridge pickup is more of a tone control.

17. BassBob185

BassBob185

Oct 25, 2007
    Rocking Chair
    My SX SPJ has zero hum in any combination of pickup settings

18. rorydude

rorydude

Oct 5, 2007
    Redlands, CA
    i just hot-rodded my bass...

19. +1.

There is also the discontinued Precision Plus, which is a Fender MIA P/J with a Precision neck. If I recall correctly, the Hot Rod precision is also a MIA P/J with a Precision neck, but the California Deluxe is a MIA P/J with a Jazz neck. If my recollection is wrong, please correct me.

All three models show up on eBay from time-to-time, and less often here at TBass.

Bluesy Soul :cool:

20. The Hot Rodded Precision is perfect for what you are looking for. I wanted a P/J that was more 'P' than 'J' and the Hot Rodded P is what I ended up with!

c51b_3.gif

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021