Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Precision or Jazz Bass ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by papjason, Jan 24, 2006.

1. papjason

papjason

Jan 22, 2006
    Greece
    I want to buy a Fender American Bass..
    But I dont know which one?
    A Precison Bass or a Jazz Bass.....

Can anyone help me??
    please....

Jason

2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    play both, get the one you like

also it depends what style of music you play.
    I bought a jazz because i heard it was more versatile

3. papjason

papjason

Jan 22, 2006
    Greece
    I have a group and we play rock, funk, (fusion)
    I dont want it to play metal, hard core etc.
    There is no store here where i can try them....
    I will buy it from an online store

4. Fruity

Fruity

Sep 18, 2005
    UK, Scotland
    Jazz Bass is ideal for funk and fusion. Try reading some of the Jazz vs. precision mega threads.

5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    P + J

or an American Deluxe Precision Bass

6. papjason

papjason

Jan 22, 2006
    Greece
    the american deluxe costs too much.. i cant affort it
    Is there any site where i can hear an american precision and an american jazz??
    that would help.

7. iggy

iggy

Jan 3, 2006
    If you slap alot I'd say get the jazz. However if you want a great R&B, old school funk machine and you play mostly finger style get a p-bass. I'm in the process of getting a USA Bob Glaub 3-tone burst with a jazz neck.Not rubbing it in of course. Down the road you can always get a jazz or a P-bass depending on which decision you make now.

8. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Everybody knows P's are better.:p

9. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

+1...hahahahaa!!!!

- georgestrings

10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If you're buying online, find a seller that has free shipping, buy them both and then send back the one that you like least.
    (I'm actually serious...)

Really only you can tell once it's in your hands, playing through your amp, etc. Most on-line sellers will give you 45 days to decide...you just have to come to grips with the credit card bill coming in the meantime...

I have big hands and prefer a P in a 4 string, but my 5 is a Jazz type bass...

Which particular P and J basses are you considering?

11. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i also play in a jazz, funk, rock type band. I play a fender jazz and am really happy with the tone. I would reitterate what these guys are saying. Go to a huge music store that carries fenders and try out the jazz and precision basses and see which one you like better. Also experiment with the different fingerboards because those can affect tone as well. Good luck!!

12. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I have both a J and a P. I think the J is more versatile but at this time I’m really digging my P bass.

13. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    When I went to the music store yesterday I played a P-bass and a J-bass, I didn't like the P-bass that much, the J you got a wide range of sounds. But I ended up buying a Music Man SUB, just becuase I wanted something diffrent and in my opinion better than a fender.

14. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Jazz: more versatile, cuts through mix better, more user-friendly neck, off-set body is still pretty cool looking after all these years.

No brainier here.

r
    PS I also have a P bass as a backup. Its fun to play, however if I had only one bass, it would be the J over the P.

15. P basses are way cool!
    J basses are way versatile!
    P J basses are the best of both worlds!

If I had to choose one, it would be a PJ (like a Fender precision deluxe, which isn't exactly a PJ, but close enough :) )

If I could own two it would be a '62 RI Jazz and a '57 RI Precision.

If I could own three it would be the '62J + '57P + the new Jag!

I currently only own one (not a Fender, but VERY similar) a homebuilt P-bass that is "way cool"!

16. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I have American Series Precision and Jazz basses, and I think you should start with the Jazz, as I did a few years ago. It's more versatile, well-suited to your material -- it's well-suited to everything, really -- and easier to play.

Plus, if you're going with the American Series, you'll get the S-1 switch, which switches the pickups into series wiring for a fatter, humbucking tone vaguely like a P-bass. If you're really into p-bass tone (who isn't?), it won't get you there, but might tide you over until the inevitable happens -- you get a P-bass! We know you will. :bassist:

You could consider the Aerodyne P/J bass, but IMO it doesn't sound nearly as good as the American Series basses.

17. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Nothing compares to the look, the sound, and the feel of a fender precision bass.

18. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I've owned 40 basses in my life. All I want anymore are P's with flatwounds.

Does that mean anything for you, probably not. But five years from now, you'll reread that sentence and know what I mean. We all get there. It's just a question for most as to whether they can deal with the chunkier neck.

19. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

... and get one of these:

Reggie Hamilton Standard Jazz

[​IMG]

I played one yesterday and was VERY impressed. It seems like a "do it all" kinda bass.

Active with Precision and (Noiseless) Jazz Pickups. The price isn't bad either -- right around $750.

20. Personally I'll just say this...

I've got a MIM Jazz which is the best bass I've got by far - why not go for both? - you can get a nice mexican of each, they MAY not be amazing, but they'll last you for a pretty long while - you can always sell them both and buy that ONE american P OR J if you really want to - but it IS good to have both I find...

..oh yeah - get the jazz first!:p