Precision or Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darkfish01, Mar 21, 2005.

Which do you prefer: Precision or Jazz?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2005.
  1. Precision

74 vote(s)
  2. Jazz

152 vote(s)
  1. darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    The title explains it all. Which do you prefer, and why?
  2. apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    You need an equal choice. They are two legendary instruments, and both are fantastic in what they do and how they perform. I can't choose which I like better.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    This has been done many times before. Welcome to TB, but dont think you can get unique with general threads like this ;) do a search plz.
  4. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I myself lean toward precision. Of course, my particular MIM happens to be a great instrument, whereas my fretless jazz has tone pot issues, the pickups are a bit weak, and there's no mwah.
  5. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Precision. Simple and basic, but great tone, very durable.

6. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    While I do like Precisions, I admit to being more than partial to Jazzes. I just happen to like the tone and the playability of a Jazz. Always been my preference and probably always will be. I play blues and funky stuff fingerstyle.
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I love them both, but I'm more partial to Precisions, or a Jazz with a Precision neck. :)
  8. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I love em both too, but I lean more in favor towards the P, Simple controls, great sound, great looks, and a fat neck, gotta love it
  9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I wonder why no one has thought of a P vs J thread before now.
  10. LOL! :ninja:
  11. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Jazz IMO - don't know why, I just do.
  12. Sergio

Apr 7, 2004
    Lafitte, LA
    Definately have to go with the P-Bass on this one. I don't know, the tone, the feel, even the look, just feels like home.

That said, I'll take most anything with Fender on the headstock, some may not sound or play as good, but I find them to be durable as hell.
  13. C-Money

Mar 21, 2005
    I love my Jazz. You can get a greater variety of sounds out it. You can't go wrong with the jazz, Jaco used it. I don't like the P much because it sounds too muddy. However, it is very good for blues stuff.
  14. Jazz basses sound so much punchier and have much better slap tone. I feel like P basses are one trick ponies, with big bulky uncomfortable bodies and action.
  15. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Precisions just have more soul. :cool:
  16. basste

Oct 8, 2003
    I prefer Jazz shape, neck and treble pickup but i have put a P pickup in neck position on my custom jazzbass copy. :p
  17. I used to a precision-only bass player. I hated the too thin necks and the 2 volumes for the pickups.

I tried a MIM deluxe 5 string with 3 band preamp, pickup balance and only one volume, and there was no turning back.

But I would be very tempted by a Fender Urge...
  18. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    Jazz, IMO its just got a better shape, tone, feel.. and i prefer the pickups.
  19. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i have two p's so i would have to say precision.

but, if an mia fender jazz bass, came with a p-bass neck, i would buy one.