Precision Pickup Paired With TI Flats

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MoStevens, Nov 28, 2022.

1. MoStevens

MoStevens

Feb 24, 2016
    N. Texas
    Currently I have a SDQP in my favorite P Bass. I don't like playing roundwounds and found the QP to be too muddy with flats. This is primarily used for live playing in a TX Country band but may be used some in the studio as well. My live sound is primarily Bass>Cali76CB>JDI to FOH, so it's pretty much just the bass and strings that are being heard; for my amp it's a Mesa Walkabout head into a Mesa Subway 212, but those are just for me and the band. I'm thinking a pickup with some extra character but not too muddy when paired with TI Flats.

I'm contemplating Lollar or Lollar P90, or possibly Novak PBV or PB90/PB90CC. Any thoughts?

2. marchone

marchone Since 1951 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    Have you tried TI flats with the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder you have on it yet? They’re a lot different than say La Bella Deep Talking Flats. Check out Pino Palladino’s set up and videos.

roller, sonojono and Jimmy Howe like this.
  3. MoStevens

MoStevens

Feb 24, 2016
    N. Texas
    Great question! I didn't try the TI Flats with the QP, but I had DR Legends on there and didn't care for that sound at all. Super muddy to me, even after I lowered the bass side.

4. marchone

marchone Since 1951 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    There are over 500 threads on Thomastik-Infeld JF344 with a mega thread in the Strings forum. I’m a convert. I have them on my Precision, Jazz and Sadowsky.

TI flats

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
    Sands, roller, jmlee and 8 others like this.
  5. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I don't know if things have changed but I've been a member of TB since 2008 and have read soooooo many threads and posts about P Bass pickups.

Since that time, the 3 most popular P Bass pickups that I have seen here are The Fender Original. The Seymour Duncan SPB-1 and the EMG Geezer.

I have TI Flats with the SPB-1 and the Fender Originals and I get excellent good balanced sound.

IMO and IME P Bass pickups with about 10K ohms give the best sound. Above 11.5K ohms start getting muddy. YMMV

6. MoStevens

MoStevens

Feb 24, 2016
    N. Texas
    I was digging through the TI threads but don't see any for TI/P Bass pickups specifically. I love the feel of them and want a pickup for live use when I'm plugged direct into FOH.

Does anyone have experience with a P Bass with a P90 style pickup and TI's? Would it be too much in the mids or would it compliment each other?

I can get Lollars at a great price and was leaning towards them (either vintage style or P90 style) but I'm also interested in Curtis Novak's pickups as well.

For further clarification, I have other P Basses with PV63, CS62, Aguilar 4P60, '75 gray-bottoms and the stock pickup in my '88 57RI. I'd like something "different" and "interesting" but that will still sound great in a mix.

7. wellshuxley

wellshuxley

Apr 16, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    For this question specifically, you might be able to find more info in the Serek Owners fan club. Lots of folks in there have experience with the Serek B90 pickup, and I imagine some of them use TIs.

8. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I have TI strings on all of my basses, including a '73 P with Quarter Pounders. I find the combination great! :)

_Obra_, Gizmot, roller and 5 others like this.
  9. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

just for the record, TI jazz rounds (JR344) are very different rounds than any other: the windings are smaller (closer together), and they feel smoother than other rounds. and the great sound is there, of course.

just throwing that out there. i know you're looking for a pickup solution (good luck! :thumbsup: ), but i thought i'd be remiss not to mention another great string that has "character" in spades, without any "mud."

i'm not a pickup expert by a long shot, but i put a dimarzio DP127 in my favorite P-bass (just for grins) and for the life of me: i can't get any mud, even when i want to dial some in! it's a hot pickup but it's hardly muddy IMO/IME.

10. MoStevens

MoStevens

Feb 24, 2016
    N. Texas
    I love the sound of roundwounds but suffer from peripheral neuropathy. Sometimes the windings will trigger the nerves in my fingertips and the pain is excruciating; it's what led to my departure from playing acoustic guitar and my transition to bass. As it turns out, bass is much more fun!

So I've tried LaBella DTF, Fender flats, DR Legends, D'Addario Chromes and now TI's. I love the feel of the TI's the most out of all of them. I was also a big fan of the DR Legends but after ordering several different sets for other basses I was really disappointed in the consistency of them.

So, I'm looking for a pickup that compliments TI flats for a direct line in my live shows.

JRA and Phaidrus like this.
  11. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Strings are personal and obviously subjective. I love TI flats on my P and I find them more lively, bright but not brittle compared to other flats. I use LaBella on my fretlesses so I can compare pretty easily. With TI the definition is very good all over the neck.

And most of my P and J basses have Fralin pickups.

jmlee and Lo-E like this.
  12. LushPuppy

LushPuppy Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2016
    I've gotten lots of compliments on my sound with my P bass with TI's and a Fralin pickup. It's got great thumpy lows and low mids without getting muddy, and has a very clear top end, so it's easy to sculpt how much of what you want. Great for 60s thump, or modern pick attack, depends on how you eq and set up the bass.

jmlee likes this.
  13. Phaidrus

Phaidrus

Oct 25, 2009
    Artman, bassdude51 and BlueRock like this.
  14. Jimmy Howe

Jimmy Howe Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2019
    NH
    I should put them on all of my basses too. I have them on one; the one that doesn’t like anything beyond 40-100 and they’re so spongy and fumbly. They sound amazing, but because they’re so light, my fingers fumble all over the place; so I end up playing them with a pick. Used to high tension Rotos… but the sound from the TIs is just incredible!

15. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    I'm a big fan of David Allen P Bass pickups. Recently I tried a Nordstrand P Bass pickup that I really like. I have tried TI flats and I like them but I have Labella Low Tension flats on almost all of my basses.

porterbass and bassdude51 like this.
  16. Dan Bone

Dan Bone

Apr 4, 2021
    Yes, no, kinda.... although I like em a lot, you don't want them on everything. They have their own sound and soon everything sounds the same. On my (fretted) Tony Franklin PJ, Ric and L1000 they're great. I didn't like em on a J-bass or Stingray. I prefer the J-bass growl I get with Roto-66's. AND not all P's need them..... I put them on an ULTRA P-bass and although it was nice, it was better with rounds so I changed it back to rounds.

Artman likes this.
  17. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    I have a 2017 Fender American Professional P-bass, which has the "infamous" V-mod pickups. It's also strung with TI Jazz flats. I've read a lot of griping about these pickups. Not sure why, but to my ears, the combination of V-mods and TI's is fantastic. Clear, sweet, hefty all-P tone. Love it with fingers or pick. Given the amount of hate I've read here for these original V-mods, you could probably get someone to give you a set for free! Here's a (anti nuclear war) song on which I tracked this combination. 4-string P-bass w/tone knob on full --> Noble tube preamp/DI --> Focusrite/DAW. Zero EQ in the chain.

Levent and Clutchcargo like this.
  18. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    Oh my god, that song is excellent!

Ukiah Bass likes this.
  19. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks to the post, above, by JRA, I am considering a set of TI rounds on one of my basses; there are times a little "growl" would be welcome - as song as it isn't accompanied by the objectionable finger and fret noise I associate with rounds.

20. dave hope

dave hope

Dec 16, 2016
    It’s hard to recommend a string where the price is a factor.
    But TI strings are the most well made ones I’ve ever played.
    Extremely even up the neck, meaty, and with a signature sound to me.
    Fortunately they are flats and we don’t have to buy them as often.

Gizmot likes this.