Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PrePal?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by j-raj, Sep 18, 2003.

1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Has anyone used this website : www.prepal.com ?

It supposed to be a search that can give you a great 'ball-park' figure on popular used music gear.

Seemed interesting, only spent a short second or two on it, till I got distracted by something shinny on my desk.

Thoughts?

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Wassup, j!

I have found prepal.com to be a useful tool with regard to recording equipment. It also seems to address a number of sound support related gear. However, it doesn't seem to be nearly as comprehensive with regard to bass gear. Still, I think that it is a good tool, and their values appear to be fairly accurate.

Tom.

3. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Yeah, I got to check it out to greater detail on some items that I'm actually looking at on eBay and other online listings and it was 'OK', but I agree with you, that it isn't the best for bass gear.

BTW, thank you for all of your helpful knowledge regarding amps and cabs!

Are there any other 'like' websites that you know of?

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Harmony Central used to have some good resources for valuation of used gear. However, as I recall, the last couple of times that I checked it (and it's been a while), I couldn't find those same used gear valuation lists.

Prepal seems to be fairly unique, although watching what things sell for on ebay is also a useful tool.

You might be able to get companies like Music-Go-Round to give you estimates of what gear is worth. Heck, just tell them that you have a whoziwhatsit for sale, in yadayada condition, take whatever they are willing to offer you for it and double that amount. This is usually fairly close to book value.

Hope this helps, Tom.

5. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Yeah that doubling action might actuall make sense, PM'd example.