Price check. Ampeg SVT-CL USA

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by two fingers, Jul 27, 2020.

1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    So, I'm going in a different direction with my bass gear. As such, I'll be selling my SVT rig (head and 610 cab).

First the cab. It's a 610 AV USA made. It came with the silver grill. To match the head, I had fliptops make a black grill with white piping. I still have the original grill. I also have a brand new Ampeg logo for the black grill that I never got around to installing. It's in pretty good shape. A few scuffs and dings here and there. Everything works. No rattles. I can't get a bead on pricing as prices are all over the place. I'm not trying to hit a homerun with it. I just want to be fair to myself and any potential buyer.
    20200726_133158.jpg 20200726_133149.jpg 20200726_133329.jpg 20200726_133340.jpg 20200726_133406.jpg
    Now, the head. It's a different story. This is a really nice example of a late USA made SVT. Here's the story behind it. It was bought new by a guy in Nashville for a tour. He used it for a couple of rehearsals amd kept it in a road case. The tour never happened. So it sat in his house for several years. He sold the road case in Nashville. Then a guy from Western NC bought it from the guy in Nashville. The guy in Western NC played it in his house for several years. He was never in a band. He literally played along with his stereo in his house. Not long after buying this head, he bought an SVT Heritage and 810 cab. So this one became his backup house rig and didn't get much playing time. I bought it from thay guy. I've had it several years. I've used it for three gigs and a few rehearsals. When I got it, I had Yontz at Mad Science Works in Raleigh go through it. He called BS on me and told me I had just bought this thing NOS from a store that had it in the box. To this day he thinks I lied to him about the provenance of the amp. But it got a clean bill of health from him. Long story short, this thing has never been opened up for any long periods of time. It's never really gotten out of second gear. It's hard to find a mark on it anywhere.... just a couple of really tiny marks on a couple of the metal corners. Whatever the fair market value range is on these, this one should be near the top. But that still doesn't really matter to me. I'll settle for knowing the range, and selling it for somewhere in that range. Prices here and on Reverb are all over the place. So I don't know where to begin. What do I ask for this head? I'm not gonna ship it. But I would drive a few hours from Eastern NC to meet somebody. Yes, I plan to do an official sale listing here (and likely on Ceaigslist as well). So what's the going rate on a USA made SVT-CL in almost NOS shape? 20200726_132423.jpg 20200726_132603.jpg 20200726_132620.jpg 20200726_132720.jpg 20200726_132729.jpg 20200726_132850.jpg 20200726_133637.jpg
    Thanks!

2. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi twofer :)

Going Mesa? (don't tell it to the Ampeg crowd :D)

I have no idea about your street prices.

And I think sending that featherweight to Europe is a bit hefty :D (and the trafo won't fit :()

Shipping will be a pita! My first thought => try to sell it locally without shipping. (fingers crossed)

Before you sell it post your pics here:

Ampeg love

won't get you any money :D but some likes from the usual suspects

and maybe an idea for the price.

greetings

Wise

3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Maybe it’s just me, but I wouldn’t over romanticize standard production gear. A functional SVT-CL sells for $1000 give or take. Look at sale on reverb, knock a % off for in person/local sales without fees. Recent sales including made in USA models are sitting at $1k average and as low as $700.

Ampeg SVT CL Classic 300-Watt Bass Amp Head 2000s | Reverb

4. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Agreed. The context in this thread wouldn't make it into a sale thread. My only point is that it's about as clean an example as you'll see of a USA made CL. So whatever the price range is, I'm thinking this one would be near the top? So, let's say it's $700-$1,100. This one would be closer to $1,100 than $700 (if that's the range).

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    Skullheadrac, DeepHz and coreyfyfe like this.
  5. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Oh, I almost forgot to tag in @JimmyM !!!

Wisebass and JimmyM like this.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I think Corey has you covered, bro. No idea about the cab, but his ballpark is about right with current used CL pricing. That is definitely a beaut, though.

7. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Thanks! And thanks to @coreyfyfe too! I wasn't arguing with you, man. Just clarifying.

8. ''Only just run in'' CL
    ''Made in USA''

Two selling points that put it at the highest point in the range. Something run in is almost worth more than NIB.

Something ''almost new condition'' is only going to get 80% of new price on it's best day. Shoot for that and take what you can get when you tire of the lowballers.

The cab is a dinosaur that nobody wants.

Never mind that. What is this new direction that doesn't involve the beast?

two fingers likes this.
  9. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah I'm thinking you're right on the cab. I'll just have to find a kid who will give me a couple/few hundred for it and then sell one grill and the logo separately.

And for the new direction, all will be revealed in due time. :D

ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  10. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    ...... Slight derail
    Does this new direction have anything to do with the cab design thread you lownerd us on?

:)

I need to design a cab....

11. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yes and no. I think somebody already made one. So I may just buy their version and save myself the hassle. :D

basscooker likes this.
  12. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2007
    San Francisco
    agree with others...depends how fast you want to sell it ?
    Sell it today for $700 - $800.
    Include cab for another $200 - $300.
    I'd bet that if you listed it today for $1000 for amp an cab, your phone would ring right away with potential buyers, cash in hand.
    Bargain hunters are out there, even during COVID.

two fingers likes this.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Along with a buttload of lowballers. Had good luck on here avoiding lowballers, but man, Facebook Marketplace is crawling with them! Yeah, sure, like I'm going to sell something I have priced at $500 for $50...drug addicts!

14. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2007
    San Francisco
    I been having good luck with local craiglisters...sold a $500 guitar amp for $300 in about 2 hours, cash in hand.

two fingers likes this.
  15. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Wish I was 30 years young with the available funds I have today. I'd buy that entire setup today. Alas, I'm an old fart with ultralight Class D stuff now... good luck with your sale! :thumbsup:

two fingers likes this.
  16. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah I'm in zero hurry. But I'm not holding out for top dollar either. I don't need the money. I just usually do one-in-one-out on bass rigs.

Wisebass and JimmyM like this.
  17. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx! Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    Take into consideration that there are FAR fewer gigs to be played- much less ones that require an 80 lb. SVT head. That being said, SVTs remain quite popular.

two fingers likes this.
  18. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    A guy has two SVT's to only play at home? I really think the 610 is the ideal setup with the SVT head.

19. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yes. He had this one and a matching 810, and a Heritage stack with an 810. He also has a glorious Ric collection... one in every color. If I remember correctly, he was keeping the other 810 to pair with the Heritage " because that's how the SVT was designed to run". And he is just a great guy. (He's on here somewhere. Wish I could remember his username.) We hung out for quite a while in his house. Dude can play. He's got some great stories. We bonded on some other hobbies as well. It was a great transaction with one cool dude. But he just rocked out with his stereo in his house in the hill country of central/western NC. Even the drive to his house was awesome. He lives in some beautiful countryside. One of my top 10 favorite "bass days".

sludgetail, REV and carsbybigd like this.
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    If you're going to play, might as well play through the best, no matter where you are :D

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021