1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Price Range

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by footprints89, Oct 31, 2010.

1. I read through the newbie links and struggled to find anything discussing prices. I have around $500 to spend on an amp. I am new to amplification for bass so I'm not sure what kind wattage I should go for. I assume a fifty watt would get the job done. I just need a reasonable amp that doesn't take away from my tone tremendously (obviously haha).

Thanks in advance!

2. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    Heres a couple questions for you.
    What styles of music.
    What basses.
    Do you play shows?
    Do you need just a practice amp?
    Do you want a combo?
    Do you want a sep. cab/head?
    What do you have now?
    How many players in your band?

3. I play in a jazz trio at the moment and we intend to start gigging. We are also hoping to add a drummer so I'm taking that into consideration. I really don't know what I want. I always play acoustic, so I'm clueless on amps. I just have been told to get an amp and to consider pre-amps.

4. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    Id say that a good 2x10 and a decent head should get you started. Then you can add a 4x10 later if you think you need it.
    For 2x10 cabs you can find alot of good ones for great prices. A store near my house has a David Eden 210 used for $299. If you can stretch your buget by $50 you can add in a brand new Hartke HA2500 head which is plenty loud.
    If you want a combo Id suggest Eden, SWR, GK. Always try to buy used for these.

5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Do you play upright?

Most DB players use smaller rigs. There's a practical limit to how much amplification you can use anyway due to feedback. A used GK MicroBass combo would get you into the game.

6. I've heard of all these brands, but only for electric. Can an SWR be used for acoustic and electric? I just don't understand if they are strictly for acoustic, if they can work for both? Every time I look for bass amps it only comes back with electric bass amps. Know of any sites I could check?

7. fdeck,

Do you know a site where I could find one? I just just enough amp to be heard clearly for now. without taking a considerable amount of my tone away obviously.

8. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    FWIW the Eden 210 can handle quite a bit of oomph which is why it might be nice for db

9. the eden 210 came back with a lot of models when i searched it. any specific models? and i couldn't find much on the GK microbass when i searched it.

10. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
  11. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    RMC Audio has been noted for having good prices on GK. Otherwise, Musicians Friend also has them and they show up from time to time in the classifieds.

12. clink, the link wouldn't work for me.

Thanks for all the help guys!

13. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    footprints89,

For upright bass, you also might could visit http://www.gollihurmusic.com if you haven't already.

And I have not used one, but I trust Bob :), so for (less than) $500, http://www.gollihurmusic.com/product/1936-TB100_DYNA_BASS_COMBO_AMPLIFIER_FORMERLY_DB100.html

Also you can check the TB DB classifieds which change day to day (or so) at http://www.talkbass.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=145

P.S. Extra credit. Search on fdeck's HPF-Pre preamp.

P.S.S. Did you know the Miles Davis version of Footprints w/ Ron Carter was not the original version (hint - Wayne Shorter, Reggie Workman on bass - :D

14. Is Workman credited on Miles Smiles? I checked out the TB100 and it sounds great, but have you actual played one? It scares me that it has an EFX, I'm scared it will sound like a solid state guitar amp or something. Any opinions on preamps? maybe around $200-$250?

15. i just reread your post. sorry for asking if you played it haha.

16. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    If Bob Gollihur sells it and vouches for it, I am confident that is a good sounding unit for that price range. He will gladly accept questions by email and phone too.

My favorite preamp for double bass is the HPF-Pre. Contact fdeck here on TB. Quite a few posts / threads on it to. And you'll have $ left over.

The Fishman Pro-EQ Platinum is more of what you might expect in a "full feature" preamp for DB, but I have never used one. Lots of posts on it here too.

P.S. I never meant to suggest these are your only options, or the best ones. Just trying to share what I know.

P.S.S. As far as I can tell Wayne Shorter is credited as the composer of 'Footprints', 'Orbits' and 'Delores' (and he plays tenor of course) on Miles Smiles, but Workman is not.

17. Thanks a lot for all your help, man. I have only heard good things about bob as well, so I'm definitely taking it into consideration. I'm just nervous about not playing it before hand, but I read that it has a two year warranty, so that's reassuring as well. I had never listened to the version on adams apple.