Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Prices on NS in Canada

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Big Benner, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Hey all,

I rented a NS electric upright bass last fall and now I'm dyeing to buy on. I believe that here in Toronto, CANADA, a simple CR series bass goes for roughly $3300 Canadian dollars. Add the magnetic pickups and that's another $300 roughly. Add a 5th string and that's another $400 roughly.

Does that sound correct to everyone?

I want to buy a 5 string electric upright bass (doesn't have to have magnetic pickups, I'll keep my electric bass guitar for that),.................. any thoughts or suggestions for something a little cheaper?

Thanks,

Benner

2. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    A friend of mine works in another music store in town. We were both at the same club last night. He saw my CR4M for first time. I was VERY surprised when he said that dealer cost is $3000 CDN on one like mine. It seems more than a little high but I can double check for you. What model would you want me to try and get a cost on? I would have said your numbers seem more in line with what I thought they were selling for.

3. Hi Steve, thanks for the reply.

http://www.nedsteinberger.com/instruments/bass/crt/crtbass.htm - says that a CR 4T – 4 String list price is $3000 and a CR 5T – 5 String list price is $3400.

I have a hard time understanding the Ned Steinberger web site. I guess that most players that are looking for a NS bass aren't too concerned with the price tag because they know that they are getting value,... but it would be nice to see all of the NS basses and their respective price tags on one page.

I'm looking for a 5 string electric upright - the cheaper the better. Thoughts?

Steve, how do you like your CR 4M? May I ask where you bought it and how much you paid for it? Do you miss not having the 5th string (if your Sadowski has it)? Are you a dealer for NS basses at The Basement?

Thanks,

Benner

4. Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Hi,

Nope, I'm not an NS dealer. Since your post I was considering looking into NS as a line but I think the demand would be fairly low unless I could compete on price with L&M. But I will look into it.

I don't miss the 5th string on the NS although it would be nice to have one. 4 strings keep me busy enough. :eyebrow: I was actually thinking about that this morning. If I got a 5 would I want a low B or high C? Or a sixer?

So you are looking for a price on a CR5M? I can talk to me friend and see what he can come up with. I'm certainly curious myself.

Steve

5. Yes please, but perhaps the cheaper CR5 or CR5T models.

http://www.nedsteinberger.com/prices/price-3.htm

I understand that the CR5M has the addition of the EMG magnetic pickups in order to get more of an electric bass guitar sound (not neccesarily something I need) but what's the difference between the CR5 and CR5T models?

Thanks,

Benner

6. Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I'll keep in touch. I'm currently waiting for him to get back to me on a deal on a Yamaha TRBJP. Not sure if I'll go ahead with it but I will ask about NS.

I'll also look into adding NS to the Bassment. I use mine more than my Sadowsky these days. There are a couple of stores in town that are approved as dealers but never have the product in stock so they would ever sell one is beyond me.

7. speedster

speedster

Aug 19, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    http://www.bluegrasscoot.com in Udora Ontario which is just North of Toronto near Beaverton carries Ergo EUB's and I believe he has a couple 5 strings in stock right now.

The Ergo's go for just over $1000 Canadian.....

I have a 4 string I really like........ its a really good bargain for the price and sounds real good through both my GK MB150 and my GK MB 200......

The Ergo has peizo pickups so you need a pre-amp which match's impedance at around 1 megohm which the GK amps do.

Other wise you need a pre-amp such as the Fishman at around $60 Canadian.....