Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PRIVATE practice amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by furiously funky, Sep 27, 2003.

1. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    who makes a private practice amp? i kjow fodera does, anyone else? and why are they good/ bad.
    thanks
    marty

2. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    What's your definition of "private". If you mean, just has a headphone jack, my Ampeg BA115 has one...

3. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    yes, im looking for something small, no speakers, just a little thing with just headphones i could carry around in a shoulder bag or something. any designes better than others? as i said like the fodera one almost looks like a stomp box in size etc...

4. After much hesitation and contemplation I decided on the Cafe Walter. I'm satisfied. My biggest concern was would it be any better than the headphone out on the typical amp. It is. And it's small, light, needs no AC, gets very loud, built in a very tough housing, and allows for simutaneous CD input. Plus it's only about $120 new.

I bought mine from that Dude Barr dude. :D He posts here at TB under the name Dude, I think. He sent it out the next day.

5. Not yet. But I will as soon as my local shop gets it in. They told me in August that the ones they ordered should arrive in October. We'll see.

6. I use my Korg Pandoras box every day. I use a pair of decent (Sony CD550) 8 year old head phones with it. The featurwes that I use most are 1)the metronome 2)the tuner (for hotel room set ups) 3) the best feature is the 16 second sampler on the CD input. To figure stuff out you can drop the speed without dropping the pitch, and I use that all the time. I own the older one. I've read the new one has more features, but I havn't checked it out yet. Peace.

7. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    I double also. I've been very happy with the Raven-Labs PHA-1 which can be used in many ways. For personal practice it accepts a blendable stereo signal so you can practice with recorded music. It's also a back up preamp for my main rig. They're a little more expensive but the parts quality is well above average. Get the AC power supply.

The Fender Bassman 25 can also be used with phones and, in my opinion, does upright better than the ampeg.

8. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    this is for electric, you can hear a double bass without an amp;)

9. MauriLii

MauriLii

Jan 19, 2003
    Kent, England
    How about the Dunlop Bass Ace ($70 USD at www.americanmusical.com)? I've been looking at one of these, but haven't found anybody that carries them where I live. It looks interesting because it's cheap, it has stereo input/output and it has a built in compressor so you don't smoke your headphones. Has anybody out there tried one of these?

Edit: I guess if I had actually looked at the previous posts I would have seen the link to www.musiciansfriend.com. Oh well... I still am curious to know what anybody thinks of these things.