Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pro-Level Secrets Revealed

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by RSalvador, Dec 23, 2005.

1. RSalvador

RSalvador

Nov 19, 2005
    Springfield, MO
    Well, there is no reason for me to continue trying to play the bass now that the secret is out. Yes, the latest Bass Player magazine, the one with Adam Clayton on the front, on page 21 has published Rex Hull’s “shortcut lesson to pro chops” so now everyone will become “the kind of bass player who scares other musicians with your skill and ability to drive the beat…”

So why should I even try anymore. All anybody with a bass has to do now is “just watch this DVD program one time…and your head will explode with all the new skills suddenly available to you.” Actually it doesn’t even say anything about having a bass.

At least I’ll have my choice of all the day jobs I want when every other bass player is able to quit their day job because “knowing the secrets of delivering maximum bottom means you’ll ALWAYS be in demand, and always able to play with the best musicians around.”

No wonder this “breakthrough in speed teaching” has been such a secret, because Rex Hull is in fact himself a secret. He does not show up at all in the first three pages of a Yahoo search. “How good is he? Forget about it. He earned the privilege to play Live at the Apollo just a short time ago.” Wow, I don’t remember reading anywhere that Victor Wooten or any of my bass hero’s have earned that status.

Well, if you haven’t got your copy of BP yet with the secret go ahead and I’ll see you at the Apollo. ;)

Quotes from a real ad in BP if you can believe it.

2. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    You're just jealous that you can't deliver maximum bottom. :D

3. RSalvador

RSalvador

Nov 19, 2005
    Springfield, MO
    :D

Yeah, I guess you can't delever that until your head explodes.

4. I like big bottom and i can not lie :D

5. HumanClay

HumanClay

Dec 19, 2005
    Australia
    you think yours is big??!!.......

take a look at Rex Hull's! :D

6. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    You sound like sour grapes... :crying:

7. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
  8. RSalvador

RSalvador

Nov 19, 2005
    Springfield, MO
    Found out from the guys on Harmony Central why I've never heard of Rex Hull...

He's been too busy touring with Estaban.

9. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

As phoney-baloney as that article in Bass Player may sound, I bet any pro or semi-pro here at Talk Bass and even some here who gig only rarely would be able to devise a list of "Bass Pro 'Secrets' " and a pretty good one at that...probably superior, in fact, to the one in the magazine.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There are no secrets to becoming a good player- it's just how hard you work!! :meh:

Of course - if all you want is success, then there are many poor players who have had great success....;)

11. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I don't believe there is such as thing as "speed teaching", unless of course, the student is a "speed learner".

An important aspect to understand about the learning process, is that not everyone learns the same way. Some students are tactial learners, some are visual, and some aural. The nice thing about music, is that it caters for all three.

speed teaching... it's just a gimick. I think the real secret to education in general is understanding a teaching methodogy, as-well-as understanding how people learn. Education is a science in it's self, which you can learned at any library.

12. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    So you mean to tell me Professor Harold Hill LIED??!!

13. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I don't know any Professor Harold Hill.

Who the heck is Professor Harold Hill?

14. Whoosh! What's that going over your head?

15. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    ignorance.

16. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Excuse me, if you will. I'm Professor Harold Hill!

17. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    The problem is that the current methodolgy is based on the original Mel Bay Bass 1. Almost all methods are just a step up from there. There are other methods. I have written one which is very good and has a much quicker learning curve. My method will teach you, fairly quickly, to access the bass but as Bruce alluded to,musicianship takes time.

Rex Hull's ad doesn't once state what his methods are or give any examples. The ad is 2 pages of hype.

One more thing, the ad states that they only made 117 copies at $104.00 each - how much do you thin that ad cost them?

Mike

18. Close. It looked like a joke to me. Of course, it was moving pretty fast.

19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

A simple search on Google reveals :

Music Man
    For the song and game, see The Music Man (song).
    The Music Man is a musical play written by Meredith Willson and Franklin Lacey, which premiered on Broadway in 1957 and was revived in 1976 with Ian Richardson as Harold Hill. Craig Bierko had the title role in another revival that played Broadway in the early 1990s, directed by choreographer Susan Stroman.

Summary
    Spoiler warning: Plot or ending details follow.
    "Professor" Harold Hill is a con man who sells musical instruments, pretending that he will teach youngsters to play them and form a town band. His plan to carry out the scam at River City, a small town in Iowa, is thwarted when he becomes attracted to Marian Paroo, the local librarian. When some of the town officials become suspicious of him, he forms them into a barbershop quartet. He gets around the ladies of the town by encouraging them to put on a concert and he wins Marian over by his kindness towards her younger brother, Winthrop. Although she recognises his scheme, Marian falls in love with him and helps him to escape detection. Hill decides to stay in town and face the music.

20. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"

More recently done in a made for TV production with Matthew Broderick playing Harlod Hill