1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pro Tools help. new user...ticks, clips..

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Bjazzman, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    So i just installed pro tools 7.4 on my mac 10.4.11 I got it up and running so i can hear my bass. But when i enable record, it gives me alot of clips and ticks(not sure how to describe it) that pop like crazy. I don't know how to get rid of it. Also it sounds like the latency is off too and there might be some sort of reverb or chorus going on. I didn't put a defaut on these and all i did was open a new audio track and push the r button. anybody walk me through getting it to sound normal so i can record without the pops?

2. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    Me too while you are at it. I am not able to record. I can hear throught the head phones set levels and all that, but I am not getting any display on the tracks. I have some instructional DVD I will be going through, but have no idea that when I follow the steps in the quick start guide I get nothing.

Protools LE 8.0
    on an HP mobile workstation (Compaq nw9440) running windows XP

3. fretlesssurfer

fretlesssurfer

Nov 21, 2005
    what interface are you using? mbox?

4. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    I have a mbox2.

5. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    mbox 2

6. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    i had the same problems as post #2. no levels to see and i can't get it to record. just pops and clicks and extreme latency

7. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    Check and see which sample rate and buffer settings should be @44.1 and start @ 128 and see how low you can go before getting pops and clicks

8. MindSpark

MindSpark

Nov 27, 2008
    Egypt
    Mute the track while you're recording. Turn the mix knob down to the left, maybe at around a quarter. Set the latency to 512 or 256 samples.
    Make sure you don't let your computer go to sleep. If it did already, try opening the System Configuration and change the clock to SPDIF, then back to internal.

9. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    I think the instruction are incorrect on the getting started guide. Set the track type to audio, not instrument like in the manual. I did this change and all is well.

10. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Instrument tracks are for MIDI instruments like Xpandi so you don't have to create two tracks like in the past. Audio is for a mic or DI like recording a bass.

11. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    How are you running your bass into the MBox, mic or DI. What is the Mic/DI switch set to on the front. Make sure your not plugged into the line jack. Also recording you hear sounds you wouldn't hear thru an amp so is your cord good, jack good, wiring good, etc.

If you just created new audio track there are no effects or nothing. Did you set your input to the right one on your MBox you're plugged into.

12. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    Learning that kind of stuff as I go. This my first digital recording adventure.