Pro Tools' Logic equivalent

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by wildsponge, Dec 16, 2004.

1. wildsponge

Oct 21, 2004
    Novato, CA
    As many of you probably know, I'm looking at getting pro tools le with an 002 but I haven't counted Logic completely out. A couple questions:

What would an equivalent logic set up be to an 002 (I'd need a mixer or something that would allow me to connect 8 xlrs with good pre's to my emac via firewire) Logic would run me around $1000 so the mixer can't be higher than $1000 THX
  2. wildsponge

Oct 21, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Sorry guys. I should read a little more before I speak. Ok. Here are the 2 I'm considering now.

Digi 002 with ProTools LE - $2100

Logic 7 pro - $1000
    MOTU 828mkII - $750
    Studio Projects VTB-1 pre - $130
    Total - $1880

What are the pros and cons of each? I'm pretty darn good with technology and learn new things pretty quckly. Will Logic be too hard for a beginner? I've heard the learning curve is a little tricky for some people

Which will run better on my emac G4 emac (1gb ram)?

Just for the record, do both do tracking, editing, mixing, and mastering?

Does logic come with good plugins like compression, all the other usefull ones (not too concerned about wacky effects)

I don't do much (if anything) with midi, will Logic be a waste?

What does a better job of in the box tracking all the way to mastering?

Is the quality of production better in one than the other?

Other thoughts? THX
  3. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    The pres in the 002 are better than what you have quoted for the Logic rig. Other than that I think both are very similar and come with a decent assortment of quality plugs.

I admit am a Pro Tools person - but not to the point of excluding good tools just because they aren't Pro Tools. I've heard great mixes done on Cool Edit. So it realyl is about how you use the tools.

I think Logic has far better integration with midi and better midi tools all around than Pro Tools. If you're not concerned with midi - I'd go Pro Tools. If midi is really important go Logic. Most pros use both just for that reason (pro tools audio - logic midi) Other than that - there are probably little things here and there that make Logic the ONE for some dudes - and PT the ONE for other dudes. Either way - you'll get great gear.

If you really want the poop from users. I'd spend some time on the ProTools and Logic message boards. You WILL be able to read about every little bitch and love people have for these systems.

the ProTools board is at

it's found under Support and it's called the "user conference".

not sure about the Logic one- but I know it's out there - just google it.
  4. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    IMO Logic will harder to learn than Pro Tools.

If you don't plan on using MIDI,soft synths, samplers and the like then yes I feel that Logic may be a waste. Part of the attraction of Logic is the fact that it is such a creative tool. In my mind Pro Tools is more of tracking/mixing environment.

Imagine both will run fine on your emac.

Yes, both record, edit, master and what have you, though I think you will find that Pro Tools is a more efficiant at it.

Would'nt that that Logic come with wacky effects, comes with some damn nice plugins, but they are more along the lines of synths and samplers. For just Dynamic stuff (compressors, limitors, eq...) Logic may have the advantage right out of the box.

The quality of the production is up to you, garbage in garbage out.

Another thing to consider is that the 002 is turnkey, take it home install with one disk and you are ready to go. The Logic route will be a bit more tedious to set up. Though I do think the 828 kicks ass and so does Logic, but I honestly think you will be kicking yourself if you go with Logic, you will be scratching your head alot and getting aggrivated. Learn ProTools and any other program will be that much easier to use.
  5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I don't know if you have considered DP to go with your proposed MOTU unit, but I'm very happy with DP4 and a MOTU 1224 into a Quicksilver G4. FWIW.
  6. wildsponge

Oct 21, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Well that confirmed what I was already leaning towards. Pro Tools it is. Now all I need is a reccomendation for a 4-channel mic preamp with as good of quality as the 002's other 4
  7. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    Not a lot of dedicated 4 channel mic pre-amps out there. Most likely get two, stereo pre-amps. I am most likely going to make an 002 rig here soon too. My plan is to buy one of the Mackie Onyx 800R. It would be a perfect companion to an 002. It would give you 12 channels of mic pre-amp. Should be adaquate. If not that guy maybe one of the little Onyx mixers they all have direct outs on D-sub, which is very handy me thinks.

What kind of budget are you on? You may try one of these too M-Audio Octane Similiar to the 800r but cheaper.
  8. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I've recently switched to Logic Pro 7 from PT and DP4. I'm using the Motu 828MKII and I couldn't be happier. I do a lot of midi work and PT never fit the bill for me in that area. I also like the stability and integration of LP7 on OSX. I like the fact that the DAW manufacturer (Apple) is also the hardware and OS manufacturer (Apple).

If you need a more tacticle environment you can pick up the logic controller from Mackie for $1K.

If I was doing straight audio with one track at a time, I would get an Mbox and a PT set-up though. It would be hard to justify the added expense of getting the 828 etc.
  9. Having experience with both of these systems I will give you my two cents.

I would say that there are a couple of things to look at here. Pro Tools is definitely a better system for doing straight up audio if midi is not a big concern, and vice-versa for Logic.

One of the nice things about a Pro Tools system is that the audio never gets processed on the computer's Soundcard, it bypasses CoreAudio and goes straight to the 002 in your particular case. That is definitely a nice plus.

The one thing that I think you may find useful though on your eMac is the Feeze feature of Logic. Because the eMac is not the most powerful of machines, you will find that once you start adding plug-ins, your system CPU usage will go up real quick and you probably won't be able to put on many plug-ins. While Pro Tools offers you the ability to use AudioSuite plug-ins, which will create a new audio file with the changes, freezing a track will apply all the changes to the track and then use no extra resources. When you want to make changes, all you have to do is unfreeze the track, make changes, and freeze it again.
  10. i'm definetly an audio non-midi guy and have found logic 7 WAY easier than the previous 5 or 6. i agree that pro tools is much more audio intuitive, but i've found logic 7 just as intuitive. you can see it's been influenced by the simplicity of garageband. i also think the eq and plug-ins that come with logic 7 are much better than what comes with pro-tools le.

also, don't forgot that with pro tools, you have to have pro tools hardware plugged in to use it. and that's a MAJOR drag for me...

i've been using an m-box with logic 7 on both an imac g4 1ghz and a powerbook g4 900 with an external firewire hard drive. i'm not a patient guy, and have luckily not experienced many problems.

i have been considering the presonus firepod for more i/o tho...