Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pro Tools Rig

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by SpiralEyes123, Jul 1, 2004.

1. I got a pro tools rig a few months ago and have had lots of fun recording with various friends. It seems like the possibilties on this thing are endless. I finnaly got around to finalizing a few songs and i couldnt get over how profesional it sounded ! Anyone else use pro tools and if so, how do you like it? Ill try and pos some audio files soon. Im really excited now :)

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I use Protools. It's fun, and aggravating.

3. suicas

suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    UK
    Never had access to Pro Tools, but heard rather good things on the whole.

Played around with Ardour (http://ardour.org/) a while back though. It's free software which is designed to do everything Pro Tools does and more. It's still it beta though, and had some problems with it crashing, buy hey, it doesn't cost a penny!

4. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I've used protools to record my entire album. It's great and if you invest a reasonable amount of time into it, you become quite good at it rather easily. It sounds just as good as what I used to do in the studio and pay like $5000 for. My favorite part about it though is that it is the current industry standard. I understand that there are better things out there now, but no many use them yet. So, I send my Protools sessions out for all the engineering and mastering to my engineer to do at his studio after I track everything in the comfort of my home. Very cool stuff.

5. Thats the greatest part, i can record an idea anytime without leaving my house. The price has gone done dramatically in the past few years as well so its much easier for the average person to sound profesional.

6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

You're kidding, right? It's pretty much the industry standard by now. And if you think Pro Tools is aggravating, you should try splicing tape sometime. :)

7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    the digidesign website has a thing where you can "download protools for free."

is that...how to put this...real?

8. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    It's probaly a demo or a shareware version.

9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    well, it's a moot point, as my computer would explode if i download anything. of any size.

plus...i kinda don't have a soundcard.

but...just letting people know. i guess. :meh:

10. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    The free pro-tools has severe limitations.
    And then you're stuck learning the pro-tools interface, but you feel like you should because it's the industry standard, right?

But then you want to record more than a few tracks simultaneously at home, so you have to buy their hardware (digi001 or digi002 I think) to get that upgraded functionality, and this is where they stick it to you. Terribly over priced for what you get.

Get a decent Yamaha mixer, a low level Lynx card, and Sonar or Cubase. If you don't want to shell out for Lynx, then maybe m-audio's 6 or 1010 cards will do. But then you're sacrificing analog to digital conversion quality, which is where you'll notice a quality difference.

Anyways, the point is that you won't be able to choose the analog to digital conversion quality you want, because you're stuck with the protools hardware.