1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

probably a stupid question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ruffroka321, Nov 10, 2006.

1. ruffroka321

ruffroka321

Sep 13, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I'm new to cabinets and heads. I've been playing an ampeg BA115HP combo with my band for the last few years and now I'm looking for something alot louder for when we play shows. I just picked up an SWR 4 x10 cabinet and i just assumed i should get a 400W head, but i guess thats not how it works. The guy at the store told me a 100W head would be fine. I tried the 100W head and it was loud but i wanted something louder, and i know that soon i will buy and second cabinet probably also 400W. So, with that in mind, my questions is what should i be looking for, as far as wattage goes, as a head for this cabinet. If you have any specific suggestions of models feel free.

2. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    100 watts is not a whole lot for bass, unless it's an all tube head, but even then, it's still not an incredible amount. 300 watts, generally speaking, is a good starting point. More than likely adding a second cab is going to get you more volume than a bigger head would, because watts only tell part of the story to begin with.

The FAQ and search are your friends, there is a lot of information out there on this. Good luck. :)

3. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    theres way to much info we can throw at you here, you need to just search and read

4. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    The guy at your amp store is ********.

Its much better to have too much power in your amp head than not enough. If you have a 100w amp, and its at a high setting on master, and you need to go louder, its going to start distorting and sending bad signals through the speakers. Do this consistently and you will ruin your cabinet.

A higher-rated amp will stay clean at higher volumes, and as long as you dont go crazy with the master gain, you can easily get away with an amp rated at 2x-3x your cabinet.

Dont forget to check resistance (ohms) when matching an amp/cabinet

5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    There are no stupid questions - just stupid answers.
    Here's one:
    You're in a stage volume spiral. There's incredible amounts of power and SPL available to instrumentalist today. You'll end up with out of control stage volume as most instrumentalist like to hear themselves over anybody else. Drummers and guitarist will usually win.

Instead spend your money on Sound Reinforcement and in ear monitoring. There's a thread here about a cheap but effective ways to ear monitoring. Go DI into the SR system, and the in ear mix you can mix whatever you like your volume to be over other's in the band. You'll have better control of stage volume and better sound out front.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Having lost the battle that Seamonkey describes and trashing my back in the process from hauling heavy gear, Seamonkey has a good point.

I think that nad's 300 watt minimum is valid too...

For a 400 watt cabinet, I'd say look for an amp in the 300 to 800 watt range. Buying a middle-of-the-line amp will also get you more features (more flexible EQ, a decent DI, etc.) too.

Select your amp carefully and it will serve you well for a long, long time.

Good luck....and happy Birthday! (tomorrow)

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Quote from mgood-

"Watts are like dollars, they don't matter until you don't have enough"

I think the 300-800 watt range is a good choice too. Make sure to compare as many as you can, company A's 300watt amp sometimes sounds louder/bassier than company B's 400 watter, etc.

8. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    +1

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021