Problem monitoring sound from card while recording

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by knight, Oct 28, 2004.

1. knight

Nov 3, 2002
    Hello, hopefully some more experienced recorders will be able to help me with this.

Here's my setup:

Bass >
    Preamp >
    Line out >
    m-audio audiophile USB > laptop running XP
    and m-audio audiophile USB > headphones

Here's the problem I'm having:

Audiophile is selected as recording device in Acid 4. I press record. The smaller window comes up. The visual monitor works (goes up and down) and if I start recording and stop I can play the track and hear it in the headphones.

WHY is it that I cannot hear the track WHILE I'm recording it? I can hear all other recorded tracks (such as drums, etc.) while doing so, but not being able to get real-time feedback from the headphones while I'm recording is very frustrating.

Hopefully it's something I'm doing wrong. A little voice in my head tells me it may have something to do with ASIO, but I promised my doctor not to listen to it.

Any ideas?

2. knight

Nov 3, 2002
    no-one knows? :crying: I bet it's something really basic that I'm doing wrong. Ah well. Let me know if you have any ideas.

3. I'm not familiar with your soundcard or recording program, but I'm wondering it it's either something you're doing wrong routing the monitor send from the program to your hardware (does your input channel show a monitor send?), or you have the wrong setting for 'auto input' if there is one.
  4. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    is the "Monitor" check box checked in the little recording dialog box that pops up? Other than that, i cant help because i dont have that model of sound card.