Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problem - Noisy Ibanez

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by GGirl, Apr 25, 2005.

1. I have a beautiful Ibanez SR3005 Prestige Series. What I've found in the last few months is that every time I move the bass it makes a crackling sound. I thought it was my battery cavity so I stuffed foam into it. Still get the crackling sound. I have Barts in it and it is an active bass so perhaps it should be a little noisy? Any advice is super appreciated. I checked the Ibanez site and there is no support number I can find.
    GGirl

2. Check your output jack, or your chord. They are the biggest source for noise.

3. You may want to check your patch cord, as it's probably gone to hell. If you think I'm wrong, try a new patch and see what the difference is.

Another issue may be the actual output jack. If it's not the patch cord, check for looseness, and check for dust or other things on the jack.

Hope it helps!

4. First, thank you so much for your input and advice.
    Well so far, I changed out patch cables and also changed amps, and I still get the crackling sound. Its worse when I up the treble. And when I tap on the battery case in the back I can seem to cause it to happen, or if I bang the body of the bass on my knee. I wonder if there is some wiring short in my pickups? I have a 10db pad on which is active on my amp and I thought that would help also, but sadly, hasn't.
    GGirl

5. How old is your battery? If it's pretty recent then no worries, but if it's old try replacing it. Other than that, you may be right with the wirring issues.

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Try polishing the bass! What it sounds like is static buildup likely from carpeted floors and tv/ comp screens. I once had that problem with a p-bass and a tech told me to polish the bass, problem was gone and the bass looked nice! :)

7. The bass is mahogany oiled. I suppose I could throw some lemon oil on it and see if that helps. The batteries are new, yes. Hmmmmmmmm, this is leading me to think I have to open it up and check out the wiring.

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Don't use oil use polish. You want to wipe charged ions of the wood. Oil is possibly your problem for your inviorment (sp). You want to wipe the bass clean so it won't even hold dust in which the oil is attracting. My p-bass is walnut and this solution works 100%. If you can smudge your bass after your done it's not polished.

9. Sorry for the stupid question. So what do I use to polish it so it doesn't attract ions and dust? Pledge?
    Thanks for your help!

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  11. dbaser

dbaser

Jan 22, 2005
    Mobile, AL
    It's the output jack. I have had to replace the output jack on both my SRX505 and SRX705 within the last few months. You can get the original jack from an Ibanez dealer for about $15 or just buy the GC replacement for $8. Easy to replace. 3 solder points. If you need more info, just PM me.

12. elvis78

elvis78

Nov 26, 2003
    Finland, Porvoo
    Howdy,

I once had a ibanes soundgear, it got some noicy electronics. It was still under the warranty period, so I handed it in for service, it was twice, first the other time they found that there was a tiny electronic part broken so I got it back and after that the crackling sound disappeared, though also the treble. I changed it for a fender jazz because it was never the same at it once had been..

13. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    That will work fine, just use sparingly. polish around the pups and string side of the bass.

14. I polished up the bass and it looks great. However, unfortunately, it didn't stop the crackling. I took it to a guitar repair shop and the tech there popped up the barts and found the problem in 10 minutes. The monorail bridge has individual grounding wires run into the bass that come very near to the bridge Bartolini so he believes that the Bart was touching the wires and causing the crackling. Well he placed a piece of tape there in the Bart cavity which stopped them from coming into contact with each other. TADA! All fixed. Thanks everyone for your help!!! :hyper: