1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Problem with '66 Precision stock pickup. Help?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BWB, Aug 27, 2012.

1. BWB

BWB

Aug 30, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    Hi -

The guitar player in my band owns a '66 Precision bass - and it's got a problem. It has a very loud attack transient when playing the low E string. A distinctive static-like pop that comes through the cabinet on each note played on that string. It does not matter what setting the volume pot on the bass is set for, tone pot has no effect. Volume on amp has no effect - has to be pickup related.

And ... ? What's going on here?

2. Does the player hang his thumb on the pickup when playing the E? Does the pickup move around fairly easily? If so, it could be a broken wire at the pickup which makes/unmakes when the pickup moves. The only other possibility is that the string is striking the pickup. If it were a problem with the coil itself, it would affect the A string as well as the E.

3. BWB

BWB

Aug 30, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    The pickup does not move. No, I'm the one playing it - I'm not hanging my thumb on the string. String is not hitting the pickup. When you pull the E string to play a note - there is a pop so loud it makes all 4 10's in my cabinet move so much I don't ever want to do it again :)

Where do I start, or how, for troubleshooting this thing? I am handy with electronic repair and unafraid to get inside it.

4. It happens as you pull the string, or after you release it? Or both?

5. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    If it was pickup related the A string would do it too since one coil covers those two strings.

6. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    This or bad solder joint at the PU. First place I'd check.

mech

7. miles'tone

miles'tone

Feb 26, 2008
    Wales, U.K
    Just screw the E string side of the pup down into the body a bit until you get even volume and no pop.