1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Problem with Ampeg Micro Stack CL crack sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hirsuto, Mar 27, 2013.

1. hirsuto

hirsuto

Mar 27, 2013
    Hi everybody

A few month ago I bought the Micro Stack CL from Ampeg, but after a few weeks (still in warranty) the amp start making something like a scratchy "dirty pot" type of noise... Ampeg representation in Argentina change the amp inmidiatily for another one (the same model of course).
    A few weeks later... again! the same crack noise in the second amp! What are the chances???
    Does anybodoy know about a problem with this model or anything? I´m really worried and dissapoint... I´va another Ampeg amp (BA 112) that works amazing, but I wanted a bigger amp wiht a more classic ampeg sound...
    I don´t know anyone playing with the micro stack CL to ask if something like this has happend... And there aren´t much feeds abouth this amp on the internet (just advertising)
    Have anybody tried this model??? Any comments will be helpful...

Here is the video with the crack sound: http://youtu.be/CZVHX0zsyr4

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Your amp needs an aspirin - it's sick! Go get another or try a different head.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, at this point, that's about all you can do. No idea what's wrong, but definitely sounds broken.

4. hirsuto

hirsuto

Mar 27, 2013
    Hi everybody... thanxs for all the answers.... but until now I´ve not decided what to do. The seller contacted Ampeg and between both they offered to change the micro stack cl for another model with some kind of discount, but putting more money on.
    According to my budget, the cheapest next model of ampli is the Portaflex - 350 and I don´t know what cabinet fits this head better, if the PF 115HE or the PF210HE...
    Has anyone tried this head and/or the cabinets??? I really don´t want to have any problem again... Any suggestions about a different kind of choice??? I´m looking for the Ampeg kind of sound, that is why I´m still trying to have this brand ampli to play in my place but also alive in small places and transporting myself.

5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Well it wouldn't be much use to you if you were dead would it??

:D

6. vickde

vickde

Jul 23, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Only if he were grateful.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    They're both killer cabs, but they don't sound like the SVT 210av and Micro CL cab. The 210av has a more rolled off low end, and the PF cabs have a pretty big low end. Love them both for different reasons, though. The PF210he would be your best bet for getting closer to the Micro CL's cab sound in the Portaflex cab line (tuned a little bit higher than the rest of the PF cabs), but the 210av would sound way closer to the Micro CL cab.

8. hirsuto

hirsuto

Mar 27, 2013
    It would be asome to keep the micro stack cl, head and cabinet, or to move up to the SVT 210av, but apparentely there is a line fabrication deffect both these models. Still don´t have Ampeg Importer in Argentina answer but that is what it seems (according to the seller and the little information I got from internet) ... Economically speaking the next best choice but be the SVT 210av but I´m worried that the same problem with de micro stack cl shows up after the warranty expired. So I´m lookin for the most relliable choice... That is way I start looking for the Portaflex options, I guess they have been longer in the market... right???
    Sorry about my english, I´m managing with google traductor to try to comunicate myself here! Its imperative to be alive to play, hehe, but it would be great to get an ampli to play live (alive too!) and rehearsal, transporting it by myself.

9. arai

arai Banned

Jul 16, 2007
    The pf series has had a lot of problems too, probably more so. If reliable is what you are looking for I would look elsewhere

10. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Hi hirsuto and welcome. Please forgive rude comments, I'm sure we're kidding. I'm thinking that a batch of defective amps was shipped to your country. I would not trust another of the same model. There is an Ampeg BA115 which puts out quite a nice louder volume than the BA112. You might consider that.

The PF series of Ampeg have their own set of problems. There are many strings here warning of overheating of the PF500 series. If you must get the PF I recommend the PF350 and 115, that's an economical solution. Good luck and keep us updated!

By the way, www.musiciansfriend.com ships to Argentina, and they have great deals!

:bassist:

11. TomStuart

TomStuart

Sep 15, 2011
    Phoenix AZ
    I've had the micro CL and for about 6 or 7 months with no issues. Last month I finally heard the cracking and clipping. I was really disappointed believing the head to be the problem. Today I connected a different amp to the speaker cab and got the same clipping and cracking. So I connected the micro CL head to a different cab and the head works perfect....... The cab seems pretty simple on the inside. I don't know how to fix it.

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If you're thinking about the PF stuff, my neighbors pf210 has Ampeg tone in spades, to the point it makes a lot of non-ampeg amps sound like ampegs. It's not "crisp and clear" by any stretch, but it is "big and fat" sounding, more than a 210 has a right to. Likely have a good deal bigger bottom than your a/v but that's ok really. If you can get a sound you like by turning the bass knob down a bit, it just means you can turn everything else up louder if you need to.

I haven't heard the other models personally, but I do know from personal experience the pf210 is one ballsy, fat sounding 210. Fat to the point if it were mine, I'd likely be cutting a little bass and boosting a little somewhere higher up to sit right with the band.

13. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I'd go the PF-350 + the SVT210AV for that pure Ampeg tone!

:bassist:

14. Robertito

Robertito

Oct 30, 2014
    tengo exactamente el mismo problema. alguien sabe cual es el componente en falla?

15. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    I have a Micro CL with no problems, so for you, it must have been bad luck.
    I also have the PF210HE and the PF115HE cab (and a PF800 head).
    They are both great!
    The SVT210AV has a great sound too, only a bit different and it wont go as loud as the PF series.
    >> The issues with the PF series have been solved, as far as I know.
    Normally, There shouldn't be any problems.
    >> They all sound great, it just depends on how much you can/want to spend.
    In my opinion.
    => and here's my first - and last - translatemachine for Spanish:
    Tengo un CL micro sin problemas, por lo que para usted, debe haber sido mala suerte.
    También tengo la PF210HE y la cabina PF115HE (y una cabeza PF800).
    Ambos son geniales!
    El SVT210AV tiene un gran sonido demasiado, sólo un poco diferente y no lo puedo ir tan fuerte como la serie PF.
    >> Los problemas con la serie PF se han resuelto, por lo que yo sé.
    Normalmente, no debería haber ningún problema.
    >> Todos ellos suenan muy bien, sólo depende de la cantidad que puede / quiere gastar.
    En mi opinión.