Problem with G String Cutting Into Bridge

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by jgbass, Sep 13, 2004.

1. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    I have no idea of any of you DBers have had this problem, but my string on my 5/8 German bass is making a notch into the bridge due to the string pressure. I raised the bridge once, but I don't think that is a long-term solution as it will just create more pressure and I like to keep the string action low on the other strings.

Has anyone had a similar problem and how does one solve this? Is there some kind of shim or something to use. Thanks for any info.
  2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I suggest you put a small piece of leather as a shim, but I have to admit I've never seen a similar problem on a bass bridge.
    Maybe this maple is too cheap? Just wondering.
  3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    I've only seen it once, on a thin, cheapo Engelhardt bridge. I did a temporary repair by filling it with Fixall and sanding it to shape. It held up fine until the owner was able to replace the bridge.
  4. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    Yes, could just be a cheap bridge. Its an adjustable bridge, looks a lot like the bridge on the other bass I have. Fixall, leather, hmmm, that's a possibility. May just have to replace the bridge. Does not seem to be a common problem at all.