Problem with k&k dual channel preamp

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Kevinlee, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I have a dual channel k&k preamp, the bass master pro combo preamp with the single stereo input.

Just today I was trying out a differnt pickup/mic blend and I noticed distortion and a week signal on one of the channels. I went through all the possibillities, changed battery, changed stereo cable, tryed different mics & pickups but I still get the distortion on that channel.

It worked fine up until today.

Any Ideas?

It may be one of the older ones as I
  2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Did you move the internal gain controls when adjusting it? Try twitching the one on the noisy channel (especially if it is at one end of its travel), just in case there is dirt or something on the wiper or track. I'd then spray the jack with some contact cleaner if you still get noise.
  3. Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I sprayed contact cleaner and did everything else I could think of to clear it up.

It is not just noise it is a noticalbe weak signal and distortion on just that channel. The other channel still sounds fine.

It sounds as if something is shorted out or perhaps faulty.
    If one of those transistors or resistors fried could it result in this sound?

4. fsanfili

Feb 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I've had mine for about a year, and have never used it on a gig, because the mic channel sounds really thin, and is both really quiet and prone to feedback. I just assumed it was not a good fit for my set-up, but now I'm thinking maybe there *is* a defect?

I've opened it up and rolled off the highs and mids, but couldn't get a satisfactory sound after fiddling with it for a couple days.

Bob, if it'll help you troubleshoot: mic is pointed at the g-string f-hole, a realist is going into the p/u channel, then those are going into the effects return of my GK MB150S.
  5. Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I ended up contacting Deter (I think that was his name) at k&k. They said send it in, they fixed the problem, which was a bad chip or something, and had it back to me in less than a week. No charge.
    This was a k&k preamp I had purchased second hand so I did not have the original warranty.
    Great customer service!