Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problem with my bridge...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jiant., May 6, 2005.

1. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I play a Jay Turser JTB 440 bass(stingray copy) and it has one of those bridges that you can adjust the height on any of the strings. Sometimes the bridge for the E gets so low that an extreme fretbuzz sets in and you can't actually hear any of the notes above the 9th fret or so. Well, this never really was a big problem before, it would happen now and then, no big deal. Tonight in one 45 min gig, it happened twice. That is not acceptable. Is there anything that I can do to combat this? Thanks and God Bless.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Set the bridge height the way that you want it, and then put a dab of loctite or clear fingernail polish on the threads of the adjustment screws. Just don't put too much.

Moved to Setup.

3. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Thanks. I will definately get this done before our next show!

4. timinator

timinator

May 8, 2005
    Heads up-it's springtime going on summer, the humidity is rising, and neck woods expanding against trussrods are flattening fingerboards out. If you like really low action, you're going to catch the un-good kind of buzz sometimes and any wood neck from Jay Turser to Fender (Mex or US) to Sadowski or Roscoe will move-sorry amigo, just a fact of life.

One thing that sounds like it needs a look at is the angle of your neck set into the body. This has to be dialed in if you're going to run your action low and it sounds to me like yours is tilted too far back. Good news: a tech can fix this in two seconds (give or take a measly two or three minutes) by dropping a little shim into the neck pocket. With the joint angle right and just a little relief in your neck shape you can nail the right saddle height and just tweak the rod every week or three for optimum action. GO CAT GO!!!

5. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    One other question, would super glue work as well as the loctite or nail polish?

6. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Alright. I will definately use the nail polish then. Thanks for all the help!