1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Problem with my Hartke 3500 HA.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by san_339, Oct 14, 2009.

1. san_339

san_339

Jun 27, 2009
    Hi.

I've bought today an Hartke 3500 HA and an Hartke 4.5 xl, all new.

In the amp, that has 2 channels, the tuve channel and the solid state channel, when I play only with the solid state (transistor) there's no problem, and no noise in the back.

But when y play with the tube channel, or with both of them, there is a lot of noise in the back, and, besides that noise, there is a "crack pfff crack" noise, like if something is crunching...

Is it normal? And why in the tube channel?

2. san_339

san_339

Jun 27, 2009
    Anybody can help me, with any information, please?

3. Billnc

Billnc

Aug 6, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Preamp tube

4. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    make sure you let the tubes heat up before using the tube channel.

5. san_339

san_339

Jun 27, 2009
    Is the usual diagnosis for that problem?

Should I buy a better tube and put it in the amp?

6. san_339

san_339

Jun 27, 2009
    I let them about half and hour... and it's the same. I had already thought about that, but thanks a lot.

7. arginator

arginator

Feb 28, 2009
    Upstate NY
    You just bought it and its giving you trouble? Bring it back.

8. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    ya if the tubes are hot and its still ****in you around, take it back.

9. Revvv

Revvv

Oct 31, 2007
    Georgia
    I have the same amp, the only noise I get is from the fan.

If it's new take it back and have them replace it with a new one.

I'm sure it's a simple problem. It's most likely the preamp tube as other have said. However, the amp is new. Let the dealer bother with it.

...and you shouldn't have to let the amp warm up at all. It should run fine due to the fact that it has a dual preamp powering a solid state main. No warm up necessary.

10. I had the same problem, but like everyone else is saying, take it back to where you purchased it first.

Try making sure the tube is seated properly in the saddle. If it is, try replacing the tube. If those don't work, you might have a poor connection in the saddle or more likely a cold/bad solder joint somewhere in the tube circuitry.

11. My amp is used and I'm a born-again noob, so I can't be giving any advice out, but I had to echo this.

You should not have to deal with any issues.

12. san_339

san_339

Jun 27, 2009
    I'm going to replace it.

Thanks for the advices.

13. Take it back, it's brand new.:eyebrow:

14. Billnc

Billnc

Aug 6, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    What you described is almost always the preamp tube, but since it's new, just take it back. Tubes can go at any time, used or new. They are usually seated pretty well in Hartkes.

15. san_339

san_339

Jun 27, 2009
    One question.

As I've described, the crunchy noise is only when the tube channel is activated, so, Could be the problem of the cab or the cones? Or beeing only in the tube channel, I can rule out that option?

16. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Gotta be the tube, or the seating of the tube, or something related to the tube. The preamp channel shouldn't have any effect on your cab unless you are completely over driving the preamp, which IME doesn't really happen on the 3500 tube preamp. Just take it back since it's new.

..and I've never had a problem with the tube in mine, hot or cold. 10+years without an issue. So take yours back.