Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problems using Bass wah with DB

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Remi db player, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Remi db player

Remi db player

Jan 14, 2004
    France
    I've got a Jim Dunlop GCB 100. I use it with my usual gear, but I can't hear the effect. Everything is working perfectly well, I've tried each object apart. The padel works on any other amp. I use a Schertler Stat + Pre AII and an AER Basic Performer with my acoustic bass.

But I have no result pushing the pedal. Is it because the pedal isn't approrpiate for acoustic instruments ? Is it because my amp is designed for acoustic ? Uncompatible electronics with my amp ?

Thanks for answering !
    Rémi

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I suspect this.

First off are you connected like this:

pickup --> Schertler preamp --> wah --> AER amp

Wahs are passive bandpass filters using an inductor (choke) to provide the resonance. If either the output impedance of the preamp or input impedance is different enough from the typical magnetic pickup impedance (about 47K ohms) it can shift the filter characteristics to the point where the wah is effect is weak or nonexistent.

I have seen this happen with some pedal and amp combinations in the past.