Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problems with Epifani UL, anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rabass6, Jun 6, 2005.

1. rabass6

rabass6 Commercial User

Jun 3, 2004
    Italy
    Owner, Groovemania.it
    Hallo, in those days, 2 of my friends who are Acoustic Image dealers, have reported some issue from customers that use Epifani UL cabs.
    They seem to loose power and punch after some use, and we're thinking that the problem is the neodymium magnet, 'cause my Focus and my 1210 Schroeder works very well, and also other friends that use a Focus with traditional speakers haven't had any isuue.
    Saturday, at a local bass player's meeting, we've powered 2 4ohm Acme (2 ohm load to the amp) for 4-5 hours at high volumes without any problem, but 3 customers reported problems with Epifani, and they say that their cabs usually works very well.
    Anyone experienced something similar?

2. I've own a number of EpifaniUL's, and I've been REALLY cranking my 410UL (40hm) for well over a year now at high volumes with either a Walter Woods Ultra or Thunderfunk500. No problems. I also know a number of other players who have been using them for a while with no problem.

Sounds like there's something going on with the head.

3. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I know myself and others have been using an AI Focus with Epifani UL cabs with good results and nothing like you describe. I don't question you, I'm just not sure what the problem could be. I use the Focus with Bergs and Epis, they both sound great. (Want more Epi's!)

PS, Hi Ken!

4. Hello! Boy, I love those neo mag cabs so much... I would be TOTALLY bummed if the magnets for some reason weren't reliable. :meh: I'm pretty sure that's not the case, though.

5. rabass6

rabass6 Commercial User

Jun 3, 2004
    Italy
    Owner, Groovemania.it
    That's strange, because the problem has been displayed only with Epi Ul cabs, and the Focus.
    Frankly, Walter Woods heads are much more dry sounding in the low end that the Focus, and I suppose the fuller sound of this head is what drives hardly the speakers...but I'm really not sure about...

6. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Agreed, I love the sound of my Bergs but the UL cabs are just the bomb for a totally painless load in. I don't think there's an issue with the mags, I agree that it must be something with the head? The Schroeders are pretty LOUD from what I hear, and 2 4ohm Acmes would also get a pretty hot speaker load...maybe you're just hearing a drop in speaker efficiency?

Edit...R, what do you mean by "dry sounding" in the low end? Are you talking about the Focus or the Woods?

7. rabass6

rabass6 Commercial User

Jun 3, 2004
    Italy
    Owner, Groovemania.it
    I'm talking about the WW, it sounds great, but the Focus has a fuller low end to my ears.
    Do you know if Epifani Ul uses Eminence speakers?

8. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I'm pretty sure Epifani and Bergantino both use drivers custom made by Eminence.

9. I think Epi uses neo's from some Italian company (B&C, B&L, something like that).

10. rabass6

rabass6 Commercial User

Jun 3, 2004
    Italy
    Owner, Groovemania.it
    B&C is the company, but someone is sure they also use Neo from Eminence...someone has a photo of the speakers?
    Thank you so far to everyone...

11. rabass6

rabass6 Commercial User

Jun 3, 2004
    Italy
    Owner, Groovemania.it
    Both with Acme and Schroeder, even when pushed hard, the Focus doesn't seem to have drop of efficiency, only Epi Ul has showed that...

12. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles

13. TheCreature

TheCreature

May 22, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I've been spankin (2) EPI 210ULs with 1600 watts for over a year now. They continue to sound great.

14. pjhandlin

pjhandlin Gold Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    +1 on the 410UL and WW Ultra combo. I've only had my cab for 3 months so far, and nothing but great tones from this setup.

Like B String said, end of gig ear fatigue could be part of the problem in question. For most of my gigs I usually don't need to open up my amp too much but when I get the chance to move some air on a gig, I can sometimes notice it the next morning....

I really should order some good ear plugs.

15. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Be wary of any of these sorts of coments from anyone who is a dealer. For all we know they've struck up a deal with another cab manufacturer to push their products instead.

That's where places like TB are awsome. You can come here and get unbiased reviews from people who own the gear and have used it over a period of time. Sure some of those opinions are biased as well, but at least it's not profit driven.

16. rabass6

rabass6 Commercial User

Jun 3, 2004
    Italy
    Owner, Groovemania.it
    Well, one of them is an Epifani retailer, and the other owns one 4x10UL, but he plays mostly jazz, so he doesn't use lots of volume.

17. 1400 watts into two Epi UL 2x10, medium to high volumes. No problems at all so far and I don't expect any.

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the initial prototypes were a few eminence speakers, but Nick didnt like how they turned out, thus going with another company in Italy.

what he said...

and no, have not had a problem at all with my speakers.

19. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I have been cranking the poo out of my 4 ohm 410UL for the last 9 months with an 1800 watt amp and it is still stupid loud.

20. rabass6

rabass6 Commercial User

Jun 3, 2004
    Italy
    Owner, Groovemania.it
    That's the strange thing: this seems to happen only here in Italy, and only with Epifani Ul cabs.